Specialty Grain Substitution Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danthebugman

Reaction score
My lovely wife got me a Pumpkin Beer kit from Midwest Supplies for my birthday (Pumpkin Beer is my favorite seasonal beer). I picked up some pie pumpkins from the store and was all stoked to go. Then I come home from work today and she informs me that one of the cats got trapped in our back bedroom and ended up tearing open the bag of specialty grains that came with the kit. Stupid cat. Not an expensive replacement by any means, but it got me thinking...maybe I can take this opportunity to get a little creative. I'm going to have to order some grains anyway so are there any suggestions on maybe some different grains or additional grains to add to the mix? The recipe calls for 8 oz of Carapils and 8 oz of Caramel 10L.

Dan

You might go with a darker caramel malt. C40-60 will give you a caramel flavor; C80-120 will get into toffee and raisin territory; SpecialB (180L) has a cola flavor (to me, but I've never heard any one else call it that).

Thanks for the suggestions. I did end up going a little darker with the Caramel. Look forward to brewing this one as soon as my fermenter is empty again.

Dan

Back