fluctuating fermintation temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monk420

Reaction score
i have my fermentor in my basement temp is usually around 68 degree. had a hot spell temp went up to 74 never goes above 74 and never below 60. but does change like 5 degree threw out the day. will this effect my beer in any way .temp ranges are in sugg. ranges as per the instructions with my kit

I'm having basically the same issue. It's so hot outside (upper 80's) and it stays so hot inside (around 75) that I've been forced to keep my fermenter under my house. My temps are swinging between mid 60s and early 70s. The highest I've seen is only about 72 though. I'm hoping everything turns out well. I'm not too worried though.

I wouldn't be too concerned with 5 degree temp swings. Your beer will not change temp nearly as quickly as the surrounding air so by the time the air warms up a few degrees your beer is still going to be lagging a degree or two behind it. It may not even reach the higher air temp before the air begins to cool again.

So, even if the air in the basement is gradually cycling from say 68-74 in a 24 hour period your beer probably isn't hitting either of those extremes and only fluctuating between maybe 70-72.

Marubozo is right. Five gallons of liquid has a lot of thermal mass. It won't fluctuate nearly a wildly as the ambient temp. Just think about how long it takes to bring 5 gallons of wort to boil from room temp. And that is liquid that is being directly subjected to intensely high heat.

Back