Pellet Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copenrc

Reaction score
Made a batch of SN IPA clone on Sat and used pellet hops. When I transfered from pot to fermenter most of the Hops went with it, didn't strain it. Will this ruin the beer of just give it a different taste other than what I was looking for?? It's the 1st batch in a couple years and kinda forgot do do some things.

The pellets break down back into a grainy texture as they soak in the beer. But they do mostly settle out with the trub.

you'll be fine. i've heard that you could get a grassy flavor. but after talking to another member who said he just dumps his whole brew kettle into the pot, (hot break hops and all) i decided to do it once too. no discernible off flavors. i don't usually do this, but it didn't hurt the one time i did.

When i first stared brewing, I used to whirlpool in my kettle, then siphon my cooled wort out, and leave the trub, and hops behind. Then I got lazy and just started dumping 98% of the kettle into the fermentor. My beers are better now, if anything, although that doesn't have anything to do with my current 'lazy' method.

Honestly, all that junk settles out in the primary, I wouldn't worry about it. Plenty of people have won plenty of best in show awards for beers that had hops and trub in the primary.

Latest posts

Back