What is "normal" fermentation time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brak23

Reaction score
I picked up a bunch of pieces for starting my own brew. To start the guy told me to go with the beer kit to get the process down. I followed his directions and the tips and directions I saw online. When I first put it into the fermented there was a lot of activity after 24 hours and by 48 hours it started to slow. It's been about 5 days now and the airlock only makes a bubble every 10-15 seconds. I realize that airlock bubbles arent always the best way to measure activity from the yeast. But I'm trying to figure out what is normal for activity in regards to a beer kit.

I used the yeast that came with it (though I read that I shouldn't have) and when I was soaking the yeast I did accidentally leave it in the water for about 30 minutes, which Im not sure is bad or not being 15 minutes longer than the recommended

So anyway, is my beer Brewing normal? I figured I would just let it sit a week and check the specific gravity level then. Just curious as to what your opinions are.

Thanks!!! :)

That's probably normal. Quiet for a day or so, violent for a couple of days, quiet after a few more. The yeast will still be conditioning for another couple weeks, but it won't be bubbling or dropping your FG.

Back