Another "Infected?" Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goosta

Reaction score
Wondering if this is an infection. Might be worth mentioning that the yeast overshot the expected FG by about 4 points. The sample tasted downright delicious when I racked it, though.

inf1f.jpg

inf2i.jpg

inf3i.jpg

Caught a nice lil piece sinking on this pic. That white film on the bottom is also present around some of the dips in other parts of the carboy.

So, infected or just my dry hopping + yeast?

Yeah its another..........

Incredibly normal fermentation with an incredibly paranoid new brewer. :D

You're fine...it is the remnants of krausen on the surface, and plenty of happy trub on the bottom...nothing more.

:mug:

Wondering if this is an infection and this seems like an appropriate thread rather than starting a new one. Might be worth mentioning that the yeast overshot the expected FG by about 4 points. The sample tasted downright delicious when I racked it, though.

inf1f.jpg

inf2i.jpg

inf3i.jpg

Caught a nice lil piece sinking on this pic. That white film on the bottom is also present around some of the dips in other parts of the carboy.

So, infected or just my dry hopping + yeast?
Looking at the pics, the first two pics appear to be krausen. The last is trub/yeast. All is well. Looks normal. There are some things in life that look bad but taste/feel great. :D
RDWHAHB:mug:

Thanks guys. I had been scrutinizing other infection pics for the past two days before my wife said, "Why don't you just post some pictures and ask?"

Thanks guys. I had been scrutinizing other infection pics for the past two days before my wife said, "Why don't you just post some pictures and ask?"

Uh...read what I wrote here, and replace the words yeast with "inefection" and you will get the idea about these kinds of threads. :D

Revvy said:
But every noob who starts an "my yeast is dead thread" just really pertpetuates a fear that has come from way back then, they got it from Papazain and other brew books written Thirty or more years ago, and were told horror stories of those yeasts, and it influenced their writing, which influence nervous noob brewers as well.

And then, most of the time, you new brewers then freak each other out!!!! You see an "infection" or "Not fermenting" thread title, or 10 on a given day and most of you don't even read the story behind it...you just see a dozen yeast is f-d up threads...and then believe my yeast has the potential to be f-d up.

But as the guy who answers those questions on a daily basis and finds out that no hydro reading was taken, nor has it been 72 hours, and THEY (not you) ARE going by airlock bubbling- AND when they do take a hydro reading or pop the bucket lid, they see that there was a krausen....and most of the time they actually post back, to say they were being paranoid, and fermentation DID happen.

But to someone who actually doesn't follow up on those threads, they think that yeast is so damn fragile....when it is the brewer's nerves that are.

:D

Honestly, especially to the new brewer with brand spanking new equipment and even the most rudiementary of sanitization and cleanliness, and plenty of yeast, our beer is hardier than most new brewer's give it credit.

Our beer and our yeast is more hardier than a lot of noobs think it is. People have done all matter of stupid things, and yet our beer manages to survive, as these stories can atttest.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/wh...where-your-beer-still-turned-out-great-96780/

It really is more likely that I will get an infection than a brand new brewer (and I have) because my equipment has gotten more use, and there could be scratches or bio-matter lodged in it.

There is a lot of info in this thread.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/has-anyone-ever-messed-up-batch-96644/

Back