Stuck ferm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaycount

Reaction score
This is the recipe I've brewed:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/SweetStout.pdf
using the Wyeast NeoBritannia.

4 weeks in today, SG has been stuck at 1.021~ for the past week. When I saw it was still at 1.021~ last week I brought it up to a warmer room (about 72-76 F) I tasted it today when I took the SG sample and it was delicious but worried to bottle as-is.

Ideas? Re-pitch or bottle er up and pray?

i dont see where the suggest an FG and in reading it, i dont think they list one on purpose as they use the wording, "...the specific gravity as measured with a hydrometer
is stable..."

This is a sweet stout so having a bit of a higher grav sounds about right. what was your OG?

what were the ingredients you used? was this all extract with specialty grains?

honestly, if youre grav has been stuck there for over a week, the only other thing i could suggest would be to introduce some new yeast like s-05 or something and if THAT doesn't work, just go ahead and bottle.

In beersmith and beer calculus I got an estimated FG of 1.012-1.013

This was all extract with spec grains:
6 lbs Amber LME
.5 lbs Simpsons Chocolate
.5 lbs Dingemans Debittered Black
1 lbs Lactose
1 oz Willamette @ 60 min
Wyeast 1945 NeoBritannia

Est OG was 1.054, my OG was about 1.052

I was expecting a kind of high FG too, but it seems especially high. I'm worried of either #1: the yeast have taken a trub nap and my bottles won't carb up or #2: on the contrary, they will rouse from their nap and create bottle bombs from the fermentables in the recipe. I'm walking a fine line :D

idk if its just me but id repitch some s-05 and see if it makes a difference. if not, bottle and enjoy.

Thanks, I'm going to bookmark that for reference, never seen that before :mug:

After a little bit more searching I found a thread
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/1-021-fg-milk-stout-too-high-og-1-051-a-202758/
Where a couple guys using the same (or similar) kits from NB finished out at about the same point and folks chalked it up as normal due to the lactose.

Should've done more searching before posting :cross:

I'll bottle it up and we'll see :ban:

Lets see.

You started at 1.052, but the recipe used 1 lb Lactose. 1 Lb of lactose ~.007 in 5 gallons. You would have also gotten a few unfermentables from the Black and Chocolate; lets say .003, giving a total of .010 of unfermentable wort. So your fermentable wort is effectively 1.042, and your remainig fermentables are 1.011.

Based on these assumptions, you got 74% attenuation of the fermentable wort, which is right in the middle of that yeast's published attenuation range. I think you are done. Adding another yeast will not do much.

Lactose in recipes always throws people off. 1 lb is a straight addition of 7 points to the final gravity in any recipe because it is non-fermentable.

I brewed a sweet stout from Austin Homebrew back in 2009 and had the ame problem. I left it four weeks and got down to 1.028, started at 1.059. I pitched two packs of Wyeast Activator and decided to add one more at the end of four weeks. After two more weeks it got down to 1.026. I kegged half and bottled the other half. I still have a few bottles that have been in the fridge since then. every now and then I get one out and drink it. Believe it or not it still is pretty good as of a month ago.

Back