Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question for anyone who's double mashed in a 20l or 50l to make high OG beer.

How do you divide your grains when mashing? Specialty/base, 50/50 mix or other way. I was asked about dryness if mashing base malt in both mashes. What is your experience?

Howdy Braumeister users. I am hoping to have my 20L unit in the next 2-3 weeks, and am trying to plan my first brew. I was thinking of going with the following Belgian Dubbel recipe that is the "beer of the week" on the HBA website:

Ingredients for 6 U.S. Gallons (23 L)
10.6 lbs (4.81 kg) | Belgian Pilsner malt
1.0 lbs (0.45 kg) | Light Munich malt
0.5 lbs (227 g) | Aromatic malt
0.5 lbs (227 g) | CaraMunich malt
0.5 lbs (227 g) | Special "B" malt
1.5 oz (43 g) | Tettnang hops, 4% AA (60 min)
0.5 lbs (227 g) | Cane Sugar
0.75 lbs (340 g) | Dark Belgian Candi Syrup (60°L)
Yeast | WLP530 Abbey Ale or WY 3787 Trappist High Gravity, 2.5 packages (or appropriate starter).
*The recipe is intended to yield 6 gallons at the end of the boil. 5.5 gallons are assumed to be racked to the fermenter (accounting for 1/2 gallon loss). Final volume should be 5 gallons for bottling (accounting for 1/2 gallon loss).
Specifications
Original Gravity: 1.064
Specific Gravity: 1.012
IBU: 23
Color: 15 SRM
ABV: 6.9%
Boil Time: 60-90 mins as needed

Any chance there is a 20L user out there that could comment how to best execute this recpie in the Braumeister? Does this seem like a reasonable choice for a first brew?

Howdy Braumeister users. I am hoping to have my 20L unit in the next 2-3 weeks, and am trying to plan my first brew. I was thinking of going with the following Belgian Dubbel recipe that is the "beer of the week" on the HBA website:

Ingredients for 6 U.S. Gallons (23 L)
10.6 lbs (4.81 kg) | Belgian Pilsner malt
1.0 lbs (0.45 kg) | Light Munich malt
0.5 lbs (227 g) | Aromatic malt
0.5 lbs (227 g) | CaraMunich malt
0.5 lbs (227 g) | Special "B" malt
1.5 oz (43 g) | Tettnang hops, 4% AA (60 min)
0.5 lbs (227 g) | Cane Sugar
0.75 lbs (340 g) | Dark Belgian Candi Syrup (60°L)
Yeast | WLP530 Abbey Ale or WY 3787 Trappist High Gravity, 2.5 packages (or appropriate starter).
*The recipe is intended to yield 6 gallons at the end of the boil. 5.5 gallons are assumed to be racked to the fermenter (accounting for 1/2 gallon loss). Final volume should be 5 gallons for bottling (accounting for 1/2 gallon loss).
Specifications
Original Gravity: 1.064
Specific Gravity: 1.012
IBU: 23
Color: 15 SRM
ABV: 6.9%
Boil Time: 60-90 mins as needed

Any chance there is a 20L user out there that could comment how to best execute this recpie in the Braumeister? Does this seem like a reasonable choice for a first brew?

Looks like an awesome recipe but maybe a little ambitious for the first time due to the grain bill being close to the 20l grain capacity. Not saying it can't be done but you may be pushing the learning curve a little quick. May want to go with something smaller to make sure the system works properly with your grind, water levels, circulation, etc. Definitely use a refractometer during the process.

I wouldn't use much more than 5 kg on the first brew. Scale it down and up the sugar.

Start with 25L and rinse with further 5 and if you have time make notes on volumes at various stages. Then on 2nd brew adjust if you think you can have better efficiencies etc.

Most of all, don't stress. Have a fun day instead.

I got an answer from Ralf at Speidel ref post# 2196.

thanks for using our Braumeister.

Please add the 4ltr more that the elements are covered.
Both are starting to heat when you run the mashing.

It would be possible for a small batch to disconnect the outer heating element.
Then you can work with less water.

best regards
Ralf Leukart

Speidel Tank- und Behälterbau GmbH
i.A. Ralf Leukart
Vertriebsgruppenleiter

Shopping for a new chiller for my 20L. Does anyone use this one? MoreBeer WC30

Works great. Boiling to 67 in less than 15 min. My ground water temp is 52. I use QD's and garden hoses. Make sure you check the wort temp directly because the 20l was reading high when chilling compared to my thermapen. Could have easily over chilled it.

Works great. Boiling to 67 in less than 15 min. My ground water temp is 52. I use QD's and garden hoses. Make sure you check the wort temp directly because the 20l was reading high when chilling compared to my thermapen. Could have easily over chilled it.

Thanks for the info! I saw "ten gallon batches" and I got scared. I can't wait to make my first batch. I had a blast just making hot water!

Thanks for the info! I saw "ten gallon batches" and I got scared. I can't wait to make my first batch. I had a blast just making hot water!

I was also worried when it said 10 gallons but fits nicely inside the heating coils and you'll have some of the copper tubing above the 25l mark but it sanitizes nice at the end of the boil. I usually dip mine in star san before adding it to the wort just to be safe. 1/2" give you lots of surface area for the cooling. Don't hook up your hoses until your ready to cool because the steam or heat coming out of the chiller may be to much for the hoses your using and use an ov glove of some sort so you don't burn your hands while making connections. Use brass or ss QD's. Love this system.

I was also worried when it said 10 gallons but fits nicely inside the heating coils and you'll have some of the copper tubing above the 25l mark but it sanitizes nice at the end of the boil. I usually dip mine in star san before adding it to the wort just to be safe. 1/2" give you lots of surface area for the cooling. Don't hook up your hoses until your ready to cool because the steam or heat coming out of the chiller may be to much for the hoses your using and use an ov glove of some sort so you don't burn your hands while making connections. Use brass or ss QD's. Love this system.

Thanks again. I think you just answered my next 5 questions. :)

I got an answer from Ralf at Speidel ref post# 2196.

thanks for using our Braumeister.

Please add the 4ltr more that the elements are covered.
Both are starting to heat when you run the mashing.

It would be possible for a small batch to disconnect the outer heating element.
Then you can work with less water.

best regards
Ralf Leukart

Speidel Tank- und Behälterbau GmbH
i.A. Ralf Leukart
Vertriebsgruppenleiter

Great stuff, they should add this info to their manual. It's easy to identify the outer element plug, just trace the cables.

Does anyone know when mashing, if the BM uses 1 or both heating elements?

I'm asking this because when using the 20L malt pipe and the [spiedel] recommended 23 litres of water for the mash, when the mash starts and the pumps begin the level of water outside the mash pipe drops just below the top element of the outer heater. I added another 4 litres so that the elements were covered just in case, but I'm now wondering if only the inner element is activated by design.

I personally also found this strange. Their reco of 23L for a 20L batch leads to exposed scorching outer heating elements. I guess the 23L guideline holds true only for the 20L BM and not 50L with 20L malt pipe.

Interesting idea to unplug the outer heating elements. Has anyone tried this? Would be interesting to know if the inner heating elements have enough output to keep the wort at around 60-70C during mashing.

If so, this would allow much higher pre-boil OG extraction! (I guess you could get away with using 20L with the outer heating elements off - you need only enough water to ensure the pumps to not run dry).

Thanks for sharing the email, very interesting info!

Don't hook up your hoses until your ready to cool because the steam or heat coming out of the chiller may be to much for the hoses your using and use an ov glove of some sort so you don't burn your hands while making connections. Use brass or ss QD's.

Or: StarSan the chiller, then start the cooling water before lowering it into the boiled wort (making sure the waste is LOCATED SECURELY - or have a mop handy :D).

Just want to say thank you to everyone in this thread, read through most of the 2000+ posts and have decided to order a braumeister myself!

It looks like it is possible to put the top screen in "upside down" thus giving more space for malt. Has anyone tried this?

Was reminded by a PM about this mod that I tried...

Mods:
4. Malt pipe screens. I haven't tried these gaskets yet, but they are on their way for me to try out.
So the gaskets fit the plate perfectly, but they are too thick to allow the plate to slip into the malt pipe. And I had to put the top filter plate on upside down (with the sleeve facing down instead of up) because the bar and wing nut will not fit otherwise.

I think I will still use it though. What I did was put the thin screen in first on top of the grist and not inside the gasket. Then I put on the thick filter plate, with the silicon gasket on it, on top of the malt pipe. It doesn't slip down into the pipe, but sits on top and makes a good seal. It worked pretty well on my 2nd brew day. Absolutely no grain got into the pump vs. my first brew which had a lot of grain in the pump.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like it is possible to put the top screen in "upside down" thus giving more space for malt. Has anyone tried this?

I see a couple problems. I'm not near my system, but I think the bar and wing nut wouldn't be able to hold the screen down far enough, so as soon as the pump starts working it would probably push the fine screen and filter plate up far enough to allow lots of grain to get pumped into the kettle.

And then it would be harder to take the filter plate out (after mash is done) since there is nothing to grab onto.

See my post just above for one way to do this. If you use a gasket, it will sit right on the top on the malt pipe and you will have to put it on "upside down" to have enough thread to put the wing nut on. It will make a tight seal. My first run through worked perfectly.

I've been brewing on my system for a while, and I'm still noticing some DMS off flavor issues in my pilsner-base malt beers. I do a 90 minute boil standard, and chill below 100F withing 15 minutes. Not sure what's going on here...

Is anybody out there using a heat-stick with their setup? How about a copper hood? What is your recorded boil-off rate with those methods?

Don't aerate wort above 80F and chill as close to primary ferment temp as possible. I don't use a heat stick or copper hood. I keep boil near 23l for final product using 4-6l of sparged wort.

yes, just use a few washers above the top screen to ensure no grains escape around the edges. another easy method to push the OG limitation needle slightly.

Well, I finally parted company with the original valve and modded my BM20 using a 3/4" to 1/2" hex adapter, 1/2" ball valve and a 1/2" barbed fitting.

I bought the hex adapter here... http://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=rnipp075x050 while there I bought a 600 and 400 micron EZ Strainer.

I also added a Hop Rocket to be used, in part, as a filter. Whole hops and/or rice hulls would be used as the filter media depending on the recipe.

Am I the dumbest BM user on the planet? :(Yesterday I was brewing for the first time since June and all was going well.
Grains weighed and crushed.
Water filtered and sat overnight.
Starter going for day and a half.
Brought water up to dough in temp.
Disaster!!
While I was doughing in I was looking down beside the BM and noticed both sets of screens!! :confused:
Of course I was only one scoop short of having the whole malt bill in the tube.
I severely admonished my self, pulled the plug,Drained 1/2 of the wort into a bucket then tipped the whole thing into a bucket with an old BIAB bag I had.
After much swearing, rinsing, and cleaning ( including special care to the pump) I was ready to roll again.
I had only 2 scoops into the tube this time before I started calling myself all of the names my wife saves for me.
F#$% I did it again.
Went through the cleaning process again, and finished the brewday with no more excitement. The whole mess cost me about an hour so not that bad, and only missed my OG by a coulpe of points.
I expect/hope I am not the only one that has ever done this, however, it is with great humility that I admit that this was not my first expeience with idiocy, as I did the same exact thing with my 3rd BM day and didn't think I could possibly ever repeat it.
Hands up everyone who has ever done this?? I hope I am no alone in first place.:rockin:

Am I the dumbest BM user on the planet? :(Yesterday I was brewing for the first time since June and all was going well.
Grains weighed and crushed.
Water filtered and sat overnight.
Starter going for day and a half.
Brought water up to dough in temp.
Disaster!!
While I was doughing in I was looking down beside the BM and noticed both sets of screens!! :confused:
Of course I was only one scoop short of having the whole malt bill in the tube.
I severely admonished my self, pulled the plug,Drained 1/2 of the wort into a bucket then tipped the whole thing into a bucket with an old BIAB bag I had.
After much swearing, rinsing, and cleaning ( including special care to the pump) I was ready to roll again.
I had only 2 scoops into the tube this time before I started calling myself all of the names my wife saves for me.
F#$% I did it again.
Went through the cleaning process again, and finished the brewday with no more excitement. The whole mess cost me about an hour so not that bad, and only missed my OG by a coulpe of points.
I expect/hope I am not the only one that has ever done this, however, it is with great humility that I admit that this was not my first expeience with idiocy, as I did the same exact thing with my 3rd BM day and didn't think I could possibly ever repeat it.
Hands up everyone who has ever done this?? I hope I am no alone in first place.:rockin:

Only a matter of time.

Okay Braumeister brewers, I need your help. But first I'd like to ask people to refrain from telling me not to filter. I would encourage people that DO filter to share their thoughts.

What I want:
Diamond bright beer. Not the kind that you see in photos on the forum where people are bragging that it is "crystal clear" but isn't; the kind where I can see and anticipate an assailant's attack while looking directly through a glass of pilsner :). I want it that way after cold crashing the finished, racked beer for 2-3 days. I also want to be able to take a keg of finished, carbonated beer anywhere and not "kick up" a bunch of sediment at the bottom making my beer look murky. Those are my goals, and that's why I chose to filter.

My process today is this:
  • I brew 10 Gallon batches
  • All grain, mash is recirculated (I brew on a Braumeister 50L)
  • I usually don't do a protein rest, as my electric system takes time to ramp up to different temps and I worry about the variability of enzyme activity on different ramp times, etc. I want to be consistent, but understand the benefits of a protein rest.
  • I control PH by pre-treating RO water, and adding salts (usually 9 grams of calcium chloride to 5 grams of gypsum for malty beers and close to vice-versa for hoppy beers. I split this amount into 2 additions, one for mash, one for kettle, aiming to have at least 50 PPM of calcium ions in the mash.
  • I don't sparge, it's kind of like brew in the bag
  • I usually mash for 45 min to 1 hour, I don't test for conversion. I taste the mash and I usually hit my numbers dead on.
  • I always use whirlfoc at 15 minutes left in the boil
  • Quickly cool my wort by using an immersion chiller and running electric kettle pumps.
  • I always add gelatin to the keg directly after racking off the better-bottle and just before I throw the keg in my cold refrigerator (32F), although sometimes I don't see a point to it frankly.
  • I've tried polyclar on occasion just to see if it would make a difference. Mostly I haven't noticed a difference because I don't think it's chill haze (photos to prove it forthcoming).

So, the idea is to drop the yeast or to clump it with gelatin, cold-filter the beer so that the proteins are clumped as well. First I used a plate filter and got terrible results on the 3-5 micron and 7 micron pads. In fact it may have made my beer CLOUDIER as crazy as that sounds. I attribute that to pushing the yeast with too much pressure and being a total newb at filtering. I did however get fed up with the plate filter and exchanged it for one of those canister ones because of how annoying it was to assemble the unit and constant air leaks everywhere. The canister is much better IMO at holding pressure and keeping air out of the beer, but my results are still dismal with this filter. I used the 1 micron nominal, don't know the manufacturer.

I brewed a very tasty blonde ale fermented with Belgian Strong Ale™ 1388 (very low floc, you know if you've ever brewed with it). It took it's sweet time to ferment (4 weeks) before showing ANY signs of dropping, I then racked it to a keg, threw a packet of knox gelatin (dissolved in hot water) over the top, closed, purged keg, and stuck it in the 32F fridge overnight. Next day, I filtered using the canister w/ the 1 micron nominal disposable spindle-style filter. This is what I got today:

2013-08-21%2009.59.44.jpg
46.8F

2013-08-21%2010.18.58.jpg
-52.2F

2013-08-21%2010.47.16.jpg
- 58 F

No change so this is clearly not chill haze, and it looks the same as the third pic at room temp. WTF is going on here? Filters don't work like that! I need some HBT insight.

Hi Soviet,

Are you perhaps using a good deal of adjuncts - like oats or rye?

They tend to cloudy up the beer quite a fair bit.

By the way - BioFine works very well as a fining; gotta watch out for the expiration date though.

This is as bright and clear as I get my beer and that's with a Protofloc tablet. Perhaps not super clear but enough for me.

IMG_1967_zps8c7290c3.jpg

Just be sure if you are stirring the mash and are in manual mode (or even in program) that the pump is OFF.

It may sound stupid but i made this mistake somehow and ended up with a ton of grain being pushed out and into the system. Had to turn everything off. Strain it, clean everything and put the wort back in and shovel soggy grain back into the malt pipe. A very time costly mistake.

And this is where I am right now.

Howdy y'all, got the 20-liter 2 weeks ago and managed to get 4 batches done last week, ending up with a OG of 1.061 on the last batch (22 liters in the fermenter, 6kg of malt and 250g of candi).

While I'm happy with this, I want to get the OG higher, and after sparging with ~6 liters (over 15 minutes) I let the malt pipe drain away from the BM. For the sake of curiosity I measured the gravity of the remaining run-of and it was 1.040, in my opinion waaay too high.

This brings me back to the problem of stirring the mash. While it makes alot of sense, I'm a bit worried that the pump will start up while I'm messing around with the malt pipe. So, is it only possible to do this if I'm running the BM on manual, or is it possible to do this on program also? Is there a pause function, or do I have to watch the display, start stirring like crazy when the break sets in, hopefully putting the malt pipe back together before it starts pumping Again?).

Great thread btw, I've been through it a couple of times now! :)

Malloy, I don't have my manual with me but I am sure that you can pause during a pump break by pressing the up and down arrows at the same time. I don't recall just how to go back to the program though.

(SNIP)

This brings me back to the problem of stirring the mash. While it makes alot of sense, I'm a bit worried that the pump will start up while I'm messing around with the malt pipe. So, is it only possible to do this if I'm running the BM on manual, or is it possible to do this on program also? Is there a pause function, or do I have to watch the display, start stirring like crazy when the break sets in, hopefully putting the malt pipe back together before it starts pumping Again?).

Great thread btw, I've been through it a couple of times now! :)

To suspend the automatic program, press the up and down arrow buttons at the same time. The screen will present the option to "continue" or "abort." After you have finished stirring and clamped down the malt pipe with the tube and wingnut, you can press the button corresponding to "continue" to resume the automatic program.

To suspend the automatic program, press the up and down arrow buttons at the same time. The screen will present the option to "continue" or "abort." After you have finished stirring and clamped down the malt pipe with the tube and wingnut, you can press the button corresponding to "continue" to resume the automatic program.

Perfect! Thank you (both of you)!!

Just finished my Fifth batch in a week, I may have reached the limit of wife acceptence and I will take a short break (until fermentation buckets are ready to go Again!).

Awesome machine, I can't wait to start experimenting with it! :)

I sadly packed my 20l Braumeister away in June in anticipation of a house move. It didn't happen and now I'm having MAJOR withdrawals!

I'm living vicariously through you guys, so please, give me my fix and post some photos of your brew days and lovely beers before I go off the deep end!

Just to get the ball rolling...here is a pic of one of the best beers I've made so far. A 6.1% Saison. Not sure if you can tell but it's has the most fantastic orange colour and tastes fantastic!

P.S. This is the best thread on the internet, and I wanted to thank you all for making it so great

image-562016627.jpg

Hi guys,

any of you concerned about hot side aeration ?
With the RIMS there is hot wort dripping down from the malt tube ..
I never had badly oxidized beer from BM (done close to 100 batches on 20L)
But just thinking ...

Hi guys,

any of you concerned about hot side aeration ?
With the RIMS there is hot wort dripping down from the malt tube ..
I never had badly oxidized beer from BM (done close to 100 batches on 20L)
But just thinking ...

Check out John Palmer's book, Chapter 6 - Yeast 6.9.3 Aeration is Good, Oxidation is Bad. I try to minimize the aeration after the boil until the wort is below 80F.

My boil doesn't go past 94 and I'm at 5,800 ft.
I'm in Colorado too (5200') and mine boils nicely at 95C with the insulating jacket. Question though: When does the boil timer kick in if the boil is programmed for 100C and never gets within 4-5 degrees of target? Last weekend my boil timer counted for about 20 minutes, and then stopped counting down. Temp was a pretty steady at 95C the whole time. Don't remember this happening before, although I do tend to switch to manual once the boil starts. Should I set the boil target temp to 95-96C to get the timer to work (or 95C plus the tolerance that starts the timer, e.g., +/- X degrees C)?

Just answered part of my question by reading the manual (duh). Says timing starts after a waiting period of 3 minutes after reaching at least 95C. Not sure if the timer then stops if it goes below 95C, but my timer definately stopped at 20 min and never restarted, even with the temp at 95.

Just answered part of my question by reading the manual (duh). Says timing starts after a waiting period of 3 minutes after reaching at least 95C. Not sure if the timer then stops if it goes below 95C, but my timer definately stopped at 20 min and never restarted, even with the temp at 95.

Timer stops. I experienced this with my cooler, popped it in the remaining 5 minutes of the boil, timer stopped and didn't restart until after the temp had reached 98c.

Latest posts

Back