StarSan Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbodkin

Reaction score
If I mix up some StarSan and leave it in a spray bottle (air tight) ... How long will it keep?

If you used distilled water, a very long time.
If you did not, then you have to check the ph.

Minerals in the water will eventually negate Star Sans effectiveness.

What's the best way to check if it is still good. Cloudy = Bad, Clear = Still good?

Generally yes. But, pH is the ONLY way to be absolutely sure.

Kinda like a hydrometer. You can guage progress by watching a Krauesen rise and fall, but you never know what the yeast have done til' you pull a reading.

Same with StarSan and pH. A $9.00 bottle of "Wine Range" pH strips will be sufficient. No need to buy a $90 pH probe to check your sanitizer.

Is it enought to spray down everything or do some things need to be soaked in sanitizer? Great idea!!!

Is it enought to spray down everything or do some things need to be soaked in sanitizer? Great idea!!!

As long as the object is clean (residue free) a spritz to coat wet is enough even for the largest objects. However, it is usually easier to run SS through tubing to ensure all surfaces are coated. For this, I will dip one end in the SS carboy, suck start a siphon to fill the tube half way, then invert the tube to put the sucked part in the sanitizer and drain out the tube. Done!

Another nice thing about Autosiphon racking canes is that it is eaier to "pump" sanitizer through the cane and line back into the storage container.

Rather than worry about the shelf life of my spray bottle full of star-san, I just dump it out and refill it whenever I make a new 5gal batch (i.e., whenever I'm sanitizing a carboy). Since I'm brewing or racking to secondary AT LEAST every 2-3 weeks, I always have relatively fresh star-san in the sprayer.

How about bottles? Is it enough to spay a few times into each bottle- or do they need to be submerged in order to be safe?

wait, so i only have to spray down the inside of my ale pail? i dont have to fill it all the way up?

As long as all surfaces are wet, then yes. I take about 1 gallon in my 6.5 gallon carboy, I swirl it around, and then I dump it back into the corny I use to keep my star san in.

I use a spray bottle for nearly all star-san applications. The bottle of star-san that I bought in November 2007 is still 3/4 full!

I use a spray bottle for nearly all star-san applications. The bottle of star-san that I bought in November 2007 is still 3/4 full!

Word.

I bought mt bottle in early 2007 (nearly two years old now) and I have only used about 3/4 of the bottle, and that is with spilling some (cap broke). I would imagine that what is left will last me most of 2009. I will get 2.5-3 years out of one bottle of StarSan.

Same with StarSan and pH. A $9.00 bottle of "Beer Range" pH strips will be sufficient. No need to buy a $90 pH probe to check your sanitizer.

I didn't think beer range strips went down to 3. I think mine are 4-6 or similar.

Back