Madison Wisconsin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm enjoying the love for Bedlam. Ale Asylum has been my favorite brewery in the area and Bedlam is my current favorite beer. I enjoy Vintage, New Glarus and The Great Dane, but Ale Asylum is my most common choice. I have a Bedlam inspired homebrew in my kegerator right now. Still working on tweaking the recipe.

Sorry to hear you got some really bad advice from a local. That is not a short walk at all. I don't think I have ever hailed a cab in Madison. We usually call for one.

I love the Vintage. They have a very diverse selection of beer. Belgian, German, and American styles. They usually have at least 2 beers on cask. Almost always with something thrown in. They had a beer on Hibiscus one time I went in. I didn't like it but I like that Scott was willing to try something like that. I always order a build your own burger.

I think the only things we really lack in Wisconsin for beer is a truly great IPA and Belgian styles. The Vintage and Red Eye make Belgians but they are not available except at the brewpub and a few select other places.

Are you still in town? Check out the Fitchburg Great Dane too if you like the general feel of the Dane and liked the beer. It's like the downtown Dane but more chill and friendlier bartenders who tend to know a bit more about beer.

Also, just to clarify, The Vintage downtown doesn't brew their own beer. There are two local places called "The Vintage." One is a brewpub ~15min from the capital out kind of near west town mall. The other is owned by the same people, hence the name, but they're more of a college town bar place. I think they might have some of the brewpubs beers on tap, but not many. The brewpub one is a good place to go with some really good beer. Nice place with nice people too.

EDIT: Just read that last thing you wrote. Glad you made it to the downtown Dane at least, and made it to the correct Vintage. Those are my favorite two for beer in Madison. And yeah, the food at The Vintage is pretty blah. The Great Dane is the one to go to for food(Fitchburg Dane, at least. Never actually eaten at the downtown one).
I am sorry but this is plain dumb. New Glarus is hands down the best brewery in the state and one of the best in the country. Fact. It isn't taste bias, or anything else...

The great dane is a nice place but the beer is meh...

Good to know you're the final vote of the world. :p New Glarus makes some OK beers and some pretty blah beers. Yeah, they're worlds better than the crap big beers like Coors, but that's not tough to do. I guess if you like a bottle of foam they're pretty good, though(ever poor their beer into a glass?). And The Great Dane(especially the one in Fitchburg) kicks ass and Ale Asylum is pretty awesome too. Capital is totally decent. I'd Definitely take any of them over New Glarus every single time. To each his own. :)

I haven't noticed any difference in the food between any of the three Great Dane locations I have visited in Madison. Downtown seems to have the widest selection of their own beer.
Good to know you're the final vote of the world. :p New Glarus makes some OK beers and some pretty blah beers. Yeah, they're worlds better than the crap big beers like Coors, but that's not tough to do. I guess if you like a bottle of foam they're pretty good, though(ever poor their beer into a glass?)

Wow. New Glarus is pretty well respected around the country. I always pour beer in a glass and I am not really sure what the problem is other than you don't personally prefer them. I would guess that you like lagers and traditional styles more than ales if you prefer Capitol. Both make quality beer.

Latest posts

Back