Fisrt batch tastes like medicine!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max-the-knife

Reaction score
I just opened my first bottle of Scottish ale after 6 weeks from start. I didn't acheive a very good boil as I tried to boil 6 1/2 gallon on an electric stove top. I think my hot break was incomplete. When it came to bottling I almost forgot to put in the priming sugar. I added my priming sugar to cold tap water and added it to my wort. I think this might be where I contaminated my batch. My beer is cloudy and it has a slight medicinal taste. I'm not going to throw it away as it isn't too bad. Is it possible that the beer will tame down if I wait more somemore time? :mad:
By the way, my ale has good carbination. :)

Steadfast Scottis Ale

Ingredients:

Light dry malt extract w/ Eroica bittering hops
(Specialty grains) Crystal, Chocolate & Biscuit Malts (grain bag 80-170 deg F.
Flavoring hops (Kent Goldings) 45 min into 1 hour boil
Finishing hops (Kent Goldings) 58 min into 1 hour boil
whirlfloc tablet 45 min into 1 hour boil
1 pkg Nottingham ale yeast

Started with 6 1/2 gallon of water and steeped the specialty grains from start to 170 deg F. At onset of boil I removed from heat and added malt extract. Returned to heat and tried to boil for 1 hour. I had difficulty acheiving a full boil on my electric range. I added flavoring hops and whirlfloc 45 minutes into the boil and the finishing hops 58 minutes into the boil. I inserted my wort chiller 45 minutes into the boil and after the 1 hour boil connected it to the cold water and chilled my wort to approx. 78 deg F. I poured the wort into my 6 1/2 gallon plastic primary making sure to splash the liquid to aerate it. I ended up with approx. 5 1/2 gallon in the fermenter. I installed the lid and a 3-piece airlock. I took approx. 36 hours for the onset of fermentation, it had a krausen 12 hours later. I left it in the primary 1 full week and racked approx. 4 3/4 gallon into my glass carboy, installed a new airlock and let it condition 2 weeks. After that I racked to the plastic primary to bottle and almost forgot to add the priming sugar. In a panic I dissolved the sugar in about 2 cups of cold tap water and added it to the green beer. I bottled and let stand for 3 weeks before opening it. I use iodophor for sanitation was overly cautious with cleanliness. I'm not sure where the contamination came from. I've also noticed a small ring around the neck of my bottles! Primary temps were around the high 70's F.

Congrats on your first brew, now to the question:

Primary temps were around the high 70's F.
BINGO!
no more calls ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner.

You just described the Condition and flavour of my first three brews.
Temp is very important as yeast make different chemicals at different temperatures.
once I got my priamry temps to ~ 65F ish it's a whole new world.

and no, this batch is not gonna get any better

also try Star San as I could never shake the idea that the astringent/medicinal/band-aid flavour that was in all likely hood caused by heat, tasted a bit like Iodophor smelled

yeah my first few batches were in the mid 70's. On the little thermometer strip on the bucket, that is. They too had the medicine/banana taste. A honey wheat was sooooo medicinal/banana, it's horrible. Someone on here said you have to actually add +3 to +5 degrees to that to determine what the actual internal temp is. That could put your fermentation temp as high as 80-85F.

I did the wet towel/fan thing on my last beer, a kolsch, and it was much better. We'll see soon whether it helps my fat tire clone too. The Kolsch still had a little bit of that, but it seems to be nearly completely gone as it conditions in the fridge.

sounds like the previous posters have the right answers, but
i am just wondering about the cloudiness? when warm or after chilling? if after chilling, its just chill haze that is not a taste problem.
cloudiness plus the ring in the bottle could be an infection - i am far from an expert in this, hopefully a more experienced brewer will chime in.
good luck

It also sounds like you need a second pot so you dont have to boil the whole thinig in one pot. The wieght could damage your stove.

Latest posts

Back