Trying a new "Breakfast Porter" Recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toastermm

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I've been playing with numbers and percentages for a while, and here is a recipe I've come up with:

Volume: 5 gallons
Type: All Grain
Style: Porter (Not sure what kind of Porter yet)
OG: 1.045

Ingredients:
6.5 lbs Pale 2Row
1.25 lbs Chocolate Malt
1 lb Crystal 60L
0.5 lbs Oats (Flaked)

1 oz Goldings @ 60 min
1 oz Fuggles @ 20 min
1 oz Fuggles @ 0 min
*I'm trying to use standard low-level alpha acid hops here

Beer smith gives :
OG: 1.045
FG: 1.012
IBU: 29.3
SRM: 35.7
Est. Alcohol: 4.67%
------------------------------

I am shooting for something that reminds me of a hearty breakfast (hence oats and chocolate malt).

I'm also hoping that the mixture of Crystal/Chocolate gives a faint coffee backdrop taste. Maybe I should consider adding some coffee grinds or just coffee after fermentation?

Any thoughts?

I'd say too much chocolate. Maybe cut it to 12 ounces and add 8 ounces of C120L for extra depth. 2-3 ounces of roasted barley will add some coffee flavor.

If you wanna make it a full breakfast beer, add more oats, a little lactose (cream and sugar) and a little cold-pressed coffee. I recently made an oatmeal stout with 1.5 lbs toasted oats and the above-mentioned adjuncts, brewed it to the same OG as you have there and it is absolutely fantastic. might be the best dark beer I've made yet.....

If you wanna make it a full breakfast beer, add more oats, a little lactose (cream and sugar) and a little cold-pressed coffee. I recently made an oatmeal stout with 1.5 lbs toasted oats and the above-mentioned adjuncts, brewed it to the same OG as you have there and it is absolutely fantastic. might be the best dark beer I've made yet.....

I'm going to cut it down to half a pound chocolate, and add a pound of lactose. I think I'm going to keep the Oats at half a pound, because that's what I have on hand.

I'll rethink the hops, but I'll let you all know what it ends up as!

---Thanks for all the advice!

you sir are a genious. breakfast porter sounds delicious and completely appropriate. Let me know how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back