Cracked Corn Information

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jud

Reaction score
I bought a 50 lb bag of cracked corn, from the feed store. Price of cracked corn was to good to pass on, $7.49 for a bag. That is a lot of brewing!!!! I know it is a little more work. I have the process of cooking and mashing down. But can someone please tell me if the SRM, potentail SG, and max in batch would be the same as flaked corn? I would like to add this to beer smith for my recipes. Thank you for your time.

Ok so here is the deal. After 2.5 week primary fermentation, I put it into kegs to lager. Sample tasted really a lot like Rolling Rock just a bit more corn. Two weeks lagering sample taste just like Rolling Rock. 4 weeks lagering getting better lost the heavy corn taste, getting right. 6 weeks well it is really tasty!! My wife likes it almost as much as the Blonde Ale. Oh ABV came out at 6.2% I am not recommending this route, but it did work out for me. One thing I might do is cut back to 3 pounds on the corn, see it it is drinkable sooner. Good beer all the same, cleaner then any BMC!

12 Gallons
16.5lbs 2 row
4lbs corn cracked (Produce Pride)
2.00 oz Hallertauer
American Lager (White Labs #WLP840

Back