Finally used my own mill! Great efficiency.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I finally used my own mill- a small grain bill (7.5 pounds) for an Irish draught (recipe from Northern Brewer). Instead of the usual 68%, I got 89% efficiency. I was expecting a greater efficiency, though, so I planned for it with my hopping. That's why I did a smaller beer, though- figuring I could just adjust on the fly. There are no hops other than the challenger for bittering, so I only had to adjust my volume to get it just right. I ended up with 5.5 gallons in the end.

I'm having a great time! I made the Irish draught today, kegged the tongue splitter recipe (also from Northern Brewer) and got some wines ready to bottle tomorrow.

Congrats Yoop! Can't wait to get a mill myself. I am hitting 72-74% pretty consistently, so my LHBS's crush isn't too bad though.

Nice!

Good to hear that the mill improves things, looking to get a mill myself.

Have you been satisfied with the NB crush before? I've seen some complaints, but it was fine for me on my last order.

Nice!

Good to hear that the mill improves things, looking to get a mill myself.

Have you been satisfied with the NB crush before? I've seen some complaints, but it was fine for me on my last order.

I have NOT been happy with the NB crush, actually. AHS was "meh", and morebeer's was about the same. I recrushed some crushed grain from NB today, and that's how I got the 89%. I was actually kind of scared- never saw grains quite that fine here at my house, and not a rice hull in site. I didn't get a stuck sparge, and the wort smells and tastes great. We'll see how it comes out in about 3 weeks! I used the factory default setting, and had some flour, but all the grains were well crushed.

I didn't have a drill hooked up to the mill- just hand cranked. Since it was only 7.5 pounds, it only took a couple of minutes. And right now, I am listening to "blllooop"- a great sound!

....And right now, I am listening to "blllooop"- a great sound!

Oh YUCK! Yoop's in the crapper and forums at the same time!
jawdrop.gif

Oh YUCK! Yoop's in the crapper and forums at the same time!
jawdrop.gif

LOL.

I don't blloooop- I'm a girl. Our body functions are totally different than guys'. We don't have stinky gas issues, we don't have smelly armpits, we don't blllooooop. Well, you get the idea.

I do cuss like a sailor, though.

I have NOT been happy with the NB crush, actually. AHS was "meh", and morebeer's was about the same.

I think the mail order houses intentionally go real conservative with their crush, to make sure customers don't get stuck sparges. Even my LHBS seems to do the same. Personally, I'm getting consistently higher efficiency since buying my BC.

LOL.

I don't blloooop- I'm a girl. Our body functions are totally different than guys'. We don't have stinky gas issues, we don't have smelly armpits, we don't blllooooop. Well, you get the idea.

I do cuss like a sailor, though.

Ok, Yoop. Since you have been so kind to me, I won't publicly call BS on you.

bullsht.gif

HEY! WHO PUT THAT SMILIE THERE?!?!

I have NOT been happy with the NB crush, actually. AHS was "meh", and morebeer's was about the same. I recrushed some crushed grain from NB today, and that's how I got the 89%. I was actually kind of scared- never saw grains quite that fine here at my house, and not a rice hull in site. I didn't get a stuck sparge, and the wort smells and tastes great. We'll see how it comes out in about 3 weeks! I used the factory default setting, and had some flour, but all the grains were well crushed.

Ouch. I guess I've never milled my own so I can't say for sure, but it was about the same as the other stores I've bought from.

I'm brewing up one of their kits today or tomorrow, maybe I should bust out the rolling pin?

Back