Porter and Pale Ale - any harm in long primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockgardenlove

Reaction score
They've been going about two weeks now so far, and I was wondering if there would be any harm in waiting another 3-4 weeks before bottling.

Thanks!

Absolutely not. I routinely don't do a secondary any more and let my beer sit in primary for up to 3 months, maybe a tad longer, depending upon style.

many people say that you shouldn't leave the beer on top of the yeast cake for more than 5 weeks (in the primary), so, you are at the upper limit of what they are recommending.

i say try it. after the specific gravity stops changing, you could rack to a secondary fermenter (carboy) if you are really that worried, but i wouldn't worry.

I wait 2 weeks to take a hydrometer sample for a 1st FG reading just to see how close it is. Once I get a stable FG,I give it 3-5 days to clean up & settle out more. Then bottle. That way,when it's properly conditioned & chilled for 4-5 days,it'll be as fresh as is possible. Hoppy ales in particular,you want as fresh as can be,but properly conditioned.

Mine average 5 or 6 weeks. I was planning on brewing today, but I can't seem to be able to find the bottom of this keg.

Back