Five Days, Gravity Dropped, But Still Krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottmd06

Reaction score
One of my batches has been in primary for five days and the gravity has dropped to where it should but I still have an active krausen causing the airlock to bubble about every 15 seconds... Haven't seen this on any of my other batches, my other two currently fermenting have already started to clear. Am I oblivious and have an infection or something?!

Did it get warmer today by any chance? An increase in temp could rile some CO2 out of solution, might be enough to bump the airlock a little. I'd be surprised if you've got an infection. What did you make?

Its a half 2-row, half wheat hybrid with a pound of honey added. The temperature has actually gone down about 5 degrees over the past week... Its just strange to pop open one of my fermenters after five days and still see a foamy, bubbly krausen still going, especially when I've hit my OG already...

This WAS my first time mashing the grain myself though.
I'm not sure if that would have anything to do with anything.
Pitched at about 65F Wednesday morning at 11am...

Its a half 2-row, half wheat hybrid with a pound of honey added. The temperature has actually gone down about 5 degrees over the past week... Its just strange to pop open one of my fermenters after five days and still see a foamy, bubbly krausen still going, especially when I've hit my OG already...

This WAS my first time mashing the grain myself though.
I'm not sure if that would have anything to do with anything.
Pitched at about 65F Wednesday morning at 11am...

Wednesday of which week? Are you trying to put your yeast on a work schedule? Won't work. They do their own thing at the pace they choose.

If you still have krausen and it's still bubbling, leave it alone. In fact, leave it alone for the next 2 weeks so the yeast can finish their job without interruption. Just because the krausen has fallen and there are no more bubbles doesn't mean the yeast aren't working. The have plenty to do in that other 2 week period.

I made a double batch of Arrogant bastard. Two seperate brews on the same day. One is in a glass carboy the other in a plastic bucket. Day 17 batch 1 is still fermenting and batch 2 is done neither batch the krausen has dropped. I've tasted both and they both taste good for young beer.

This can happen a lot of ways. What type of yeast did you use? The Kolsch strains, among some others, are famous for their lack of falling Krasuen, even after 2 plus weeks.

Nothing to worry about.

One of my batches has been in primary for five days and the gravity has dropped to where it should but I still have an active krausen causing the airlock to bubble about every 15 seconds... Haven't seen this on any of my other batches, my other two currently fermenting have already started to clear. Am I oblivious and have an infection or something?!

Have you checked the gravity twice, 3 days or so apart? Just because you want the yeast to stop at a certain point does not mean the yeast want to stop at the same place.

Krausen does't matter
Bubbles don't matter
Yeast works on it's own schedule
Leave the beer alone until it is done
Blah blah blah... It's been repeated at least 50 times in the last month.

Yea the gravity has already reached my target gravity as well... But still bubbling! Of course I'm going to wait for it to be done, I was just wondering what's up with it. The yeast was Safeale 5 for those of you asking.

Back