Two batches, different yeast temps, what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fasttimes

Reaction score
I ordered two extract kits from AHS recently, a Hobgoblin clone and a Honey Kolsch. The two WYeast smack pacs are Ringwood Ale and Kolsch. I've already brewed the Hobgoblin this weekend and it's fermenting away nicely in my fridge. The problem is that I didn't realize the fermenting temps were in different ranges for the yeasts till I made my Kolsch yeast starter last night. The Ringwood ale has a range of 64-74 and the Kolsch is 56-64.

I would like to brew up this Honey Kolsch tomorrow and have both of the beers fermenting at the same time. But, is that possible? If I kept the fridge at 64 degrees do you think that will be ok? Both yeasts overlap in the perferred temp range, but by one degree. What would the negatives be in trying to do this? Will the Hobgoblin take longer to ferment and condition and the Kolsch produce unwanted flavors since it's at the upper limit? I could always not brew the Honey Kolsch and strike it up to learning expierence.

These are my first extract kits from Austin Home Brew. I've heard good things about them and I've ordered equipment from them before. But I really wish they would put more info on their web site about the specific kits you are shopping for. I would of avioded this issue from the outset had they posted thier brew instructions online like NB, and even then thier brew instructions don't mention much about the fermenting temps of the particular beer. Kind of frustrating.

I'm fermenting my first Kolsch right now. After doing a good bit of research I determined that I'd ferment it at 63. Kolsch is considered to be best fermented in the warmer lager ranges. I believe you could go as high as 68ish before you'd start to get a little sketchy.

I'd say upper 60s would be best for your ale yeast, and a lot of places start low and raise the ferm temps over the course of the fermentation.

It sounds to me like you're planning to brew again this weekend. Your ale could be done by then and you wouldn't have a problem. Assuming it's not finished, you could just take the ale out of the fridge and let it finish at room temp. Either way you go you wouldn't want to lower the temp that it's fermenting at.

If you happened to brew them as the same time and have to make a compromise, I'd start at 65 and raise it to 66 by the end. At that point I would let the ale condition at room temp and begin lagering the Kolsch.

Hope this helps!

I'm fermenting my first Kolsch right now. After doing a good bit of research I determined that I'd ferment it at 63. Kolsch is considered to be best fermented in the warmer lager ranges. I believe you could go as high as 68ish before you'd start to get a little sketchy.

I'd say upper 60s would be best for your ale yeast, and a lot of places start low and raise the ferm temps over the course of the fermentation.

It sounds to me like you're planning to brew again this weekend. Your ale could be done by then and you wouldn't have a problem. Assuming it's not finished, you could just take the ale out of the fridge and let it finish at room temp. Either way you go you wouldn't want to lower the temp that it's fermenting at.

If you happened to brew them as the same time and have to make a compromise, I'd start at 65 and raise it to 66 by the end. At that point I would let the ale condition at room temp and begin lagering the Kolsch.

Hope this helps!

Unfortunatley I live in Miami, where my room temps are around 76 this time of the year. I don't think I'd want to condition my ale at those temps. I think I'll wait till the weekend to give the Hobgoblin ale time to wrap up it's fermenting before brewing the Kolsch and lowering the temps.

I've heard some Kolsch recipes calling for a lagering of upper 50's, are you going to do that after fermentation ends?

Nice I live in Kendall. I fermented for about 5 days at 62-63, then going to about 34 for a few weeks.

Back