Yeast's impact on flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnh2atl

Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing a cream ale next week and have some White Labs Belgian Wit yeast that I wanted to try to use. I was wondering what impact this would have on the over all flavor of the beer.

Is there anything to consider when using alternate yeasts or is that dumb? This is batch number 6 so I've still got a lot to learn.

Thanks,

Nick

I'm thinking about doing a cream ale next week and have some White Labs Belgian Wit yeast that I wanted to try to use. I was wondering what impact this would have on the over all flavor of the beer.

Is there anything to consider when using alternate yeasts or is that dumb? This is batch number 6 so I've still got a lot to learn.

Thanks,

Nick

It's not dumb- it's a great question. Yeast strain can have a huge impact on flavor, depending on a variety of other factors. Some yeast strains are "clean" and neutral, some give fruitiness a forefront, etc. I wouldn't sue a Belgian Wit strain in a cream ale, unless you were planning on having a Belgian-inspired cream ale. Cream ales are very light, not fruity, and use a very neutral yeast.

Back