What would you put on your wish list?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bender

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’m planning to upgrade my carboys to Better Bottles. While reading about them I started thinking about what I would buy if I could spend more time brewing. With retirement about 5 years away it occurs to me that I can spend more time brewing.

SWMBO isn’t much of a drinker but doesn’t care that I am and wants me to have something to do so I don’t driver her crazy (and as long as I build her elevated gardens). I’ve convinced her to let me have a space in the walk in larder for fermentation (adjacent to the kitchen, dark and 72 degrees +/-).

What I have now is:

• A 3, 5 and 6 gal carboy. I plan to replace these with 6 gal better bottles.
  • Assorted airlocks, hydrometer, buckets and hoses and other brewing basic stuff.
  • A 5 cu/ft fridge begging to be converted into a kegerator.

Sitting inactive in the attic I have:

• A sparging set I bought years ago and never used. Basically a cut open beer keg and copper sprinkler.
  • Copper pipe and fittings and a pump to build a immersible wort cooling coil.
  • A couple of large (6 gal?) enamel pots.
  • Dozens of old bottles.
  • A 5 gallon cooler for sparging.

The obvious missing item is a kegging system. I’m woefully ignorant about kegging so I have some reading to do.

What else should I be looking for?

I'd use the keg as a keggle or somehow incorporate it into a more elaborate brewing rig (since you have the pumps).

First - Build the tiered garden, and keep the top level for hops, built up a some poles and you have a good fence for 1/4th of the year.
Next, Start getting the kegs, regulator, co2 tank, taps, shanks, lines etc to make a kegerator and two temperature controllers. Why - I would keep an eye on craigslist for a chest freezer for the kegerator and use the fridge as a fermentation unit.
There are some killer threads here on building kegerators, but, some classics:
http://www.oregonbrewcrew.com/freezer/freezer.html
http://www.west-point.org/users/usma1986/42894/kegerator.htm
I used Morebeer and Micromatic when I got my parts.
Controlling fermentation temperature, and kegging are the two biggest improvements I have ever made, AG comes third. After that your just thinking about how to increase your volume so bigger is better.
I'm reminded of the line "Before I homebrewed I was drunk, poor, lonely person". Now I'm just drunk.

-Immersion Chiller
-All Grain Equipment
-6.5 Gallon Better Bottle

I have the all grain stuff. I've never used it, but I have it. I also have parts for an immersion chiller. I forgot the names for this stiff.

Why a 6.5 gal bottle? Since I haven't bought any better bottles yet now is the time to learn.

You use a separate temperature controller that allows you to set the temp on the freezer to whatever you need it to be.

Hmmm. I'll be rebuilding and expanding the kitchen.

My list would include
#1. More Time to brew
#2. More Money to Buy ingredients
#3. More friends to help drink the Brew.

#1 & 3 are in the bag. #2 is looking good.

as a member of this community i'll offer myself to anyone lacking number 3 :mug:

Back