Dry hopping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmatze

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a question about dry hopping. I put 2oz of Columbus hops pellets in my secondary fermentation and they dissolved and are hanging out on top. If I even slightly touch my carboy some of the hops fall to the bottom. My question is will all the hops eventually fall to the bottom by themselves?

Thanks!

In my experience, they won't sink at normal fermentation temps, and you don't want to go too long dry hopping lest you add veggie notes to your brew.

Let them swim free for a week, then crash cool the fermenter for 3-4 days (I set my fermenting fridge for 34°F and let it rip). The pellet mush will sink right to the bottom and make it quite trivial to rack the brew to keg or bucket...

Cheers!

I've had the hops in for 2 days now. Is 10 days too long for them to be in there?

I've had the hops in for 2 days now. Is 10 days too long for them to be in there?

My standard dry-hopping routine for ales is 7 days at fermentation temps (somewhere in the upper 60s°F) followed by a 3-4 day crash cool (fermenter usually hits 34°F around 52 hours) then keg. I've never detected any veggie notes and I'm fairly confident I'm getting the most out of the hops...

Cheers!

Back