Question - Moved from primary to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momodig

Reaction score
My brew has been in primary for three weeks... I moved it to secondary today (glass carboy)

I added a yeast nutrient as my recipe instructed... and sealed the carboy with the special little cap...

Should I see bubbles in that cap? Or is the yeast finished all it can do?

Thanks

It should be finished. Did you check the gravity with your hydrometer? That will tell you if it's done or not.

It's strange the recipe had you add nutrient after fermentation was done. Can't see it doing any good then.

Even done, you may see some bubbles in the airlock since transferring can cause some gas to come out of solution.

If you racked at the appropriate time when primary fermentation is complete then there should be little to no bubbling. Sometimes racking to a secondary will release some dissolved CO2 and that will show with bubbling but it will also sometimes stir the yeast up and some additional fermenation may take place for a short time. If it was in the primary for 3 weeks there should be little to no bubbling in the secondary.

I have never heard of adding yeast nutrient to the secondary.

I wouldn't worry either way. Most of the time any bubbling is off gassing of co2...but yeah I don't get why adding yeast nutrient so late. Fermentaion should have been complete after three weeks in primary.

In fact if it's 3-4 weeks in primary I never secondary...that far in primary, the clearing that you do in secondary has pretty much been done.

Yes I did a hydro reading the last 3 days... there was no change... so I racked in in secondary.... So is it benifitting me at all to to keep the brew in the secondary? Since it has been in primary for 3 weeks?

As Andri stated the yeast is still working -- what exactly is it doing?

After fermentation, the yeast will start picking up byproducts that were produced. This can help avoid off-flavors.

Latest posts

Back