Appropriate tubing for all grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCookieMonster

Reaction score
I would like to do a propane setup in the garage for all grain.

I would like to incorporate a pump into the mix and would like to stick with 3/4 garden hose type fittings.

Is there a hot water/food safe hose that I can use that is available at Home Depot or Lowes?

I imagine the hoses used for taps would work?

Thanks!

You can probably get an RV-type hose that's food safe at Lowe's. And most of their by-the-foot tubing is food-safe.

IMHO, you should go with at least 1/2" silicon tubing. It holds up to temperatures, doesn't kink, and is absolutely food safe. You will have to use 1/2" fittings though. Most garden hoses and tubing from the big box stores are for cold water only. High temperatures can leach out chemicals.

+1 on silicon.

My first few batches had a medicinal / plastic off taste due to the tubing I purchased at Lowes (I was using it to batch sparge at the time so was putting hot wort through it). I eventually figured out what the problem was and replaced the tubing with high temp silicone tubing from brewmasterswarehouse.com. Problem solved.

Silicone tubing is ideal because it's semi-clear, but the thermoplastic stuff is a little cheaper. In any case, no, HD and Lowes do not have food grade tubing that can withstand 200F. People use it and have no problems (at least get the reinforced tubing) but I don't like the way that stuff gets smelly when hot.

Hey thanks for the links... I need these things to fit into a standard hose attachment for quick release into the pumps and water supply.. that sort of thing.. so i'm sure each would work..

Back