Falconers Flight IPA Recipe, thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SurlyBrew

Reaction score
A) How does these recipes look? B) Which hop schedule looks better? Not sure if I should do 60-15-5-0 or 60-20-10-5-0. Open for suggestions/critique. This is my 2nd recipe that I have created myself. I love hop flavor and aroma. I really want to give it an aroma punch with knockout/dry hop.

Falconers Flight IPA #1

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Type: Extract Date: 4/27/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Equipment: Turkey Fryer Pot (5 Gallon Boil)
End of Boil Volume 4.25 gal

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 1 9.9 %
9 lbs 2.4 oz Northern Brewer Gold Malt Syrup (4.0 SRM) Extract 2 90.1 %
0.90 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 37.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Falconers Flight [10.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 4 15.7 IBUs
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 mins) Fining 5 -
1.00 oz Falconers Flight [10.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 6.3 IBUs
2.00 oz Falconers Flight [10.50 %] - Aroma Steep 30.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 ml] Yeast 8 -
2.00 oz Falconers Flight [10.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.067
Est Final Gravity: 1.016
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.7 %
Bitterness: 59.8 IBUs
Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 9.4 SRM

OR

Falconers Flight IPA #2

Type: Extract

Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 1 9.9 %
9 lbs 2.4 oz Northern Brewer Gold Malt Syrup (4.0 SRM) Extract 2 90.1 %
0.55 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 23.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Falconers Flight [10.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 4 19.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Falconers Flight [10.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 11.4 IBUs
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 mins) Fining 6 -
1.00 oz Falconers Flight [10.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 6.3 IBUs
1.50 oz Falconers Flight [10.50 %] - Aroma Steep 30.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 ml] Yeast 9 -
1.50 oz Falconers Flight [10.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.067
Est Final Gravity: 1.016
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.7 %
Bitterness: 60.0 IBUs
Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 9.4 SRM

Either of these look pretty tasty to me! But the experts, what are you thoughts? This is my 8th brew and I have only been doing it for 4 months.

Just from a hops perspective, I say go with the first one. Don't spread things out too much, you'll get a bigger aroma bang at 15-5-0 and then the bigger dry hop. Plus, you'll get a more balanced bittering profile from the larger early addition.

Also, why 0.9oz Magnum instead of a full ounce? In my parts, hops come in 2-ounce vacuum packs at the LHBS, so I always go in 0.5oz increments (who am I kidding - I measure my hops by the package!). Unless you have a stock you're pulling from, it seems like you'll have a strange amount left over. I'm just wondering how it works in your town.

(Standard critique: Consider first-wort hopping instead of a 60-minute addition. :) )

Personally I would cut the crystal in half, and maybe add a touch of simple sugar. This will cut back on the sweetness and dry it out a little, which I think lets the hops come through better. I'm sipping on my Falconer's Flight IPA right now, which I think came out great. I only used 6oz crystal 60L, and added 9oz table sugar as well. Awesomeness.

As far as the hopping, I did 20-10-0, but only used about 3oz total for those additions, with a 2oz dryhop. Again, *I* found this about perfect, but no one's telling you what you gotta do! If you got enough of 'em toss 'em in! Definitely go with the 2oz dryhop though.

Personally I would cut the crystal in half, and maybe add a touch of simple sugar. This will cut back on the sweetness and dry it out a little, which I think lets the hops come through better. I'm sipping on my Falconer's Flight IPA right now, which I think came out great. I only used 6oz crystal 60L, and added 9oz table sugar as well. Awesomeness.

As far as the hopping, I did 20-10-0, but only used about 3oz total for those additions, with a 2oz dryhop. Again, *I* found this about perfect, but no one's telling you what you gotta do! If you got enough of 'em toss 'em in! Definitely go with the 2oz dryhop though.

Can you explain to me the reason for throwing the extra table sugar in? I was thinking that I may want to cut back the crystal to make it less sweet. Other recipes/threads I read mentioned this. How many gravity points would the extra sugar add? I already made my starter for the 1.067 estimated OG. I'm brewing tomorrow so I have some time to decide. Thanks

Just from a hops perspective, I say go with the first one. Don't spread things out too much, you'll get a bigger aroma bang at 15-5-0 and then the bigger dry hop. Plus, you'll get a more balanced bittering profile from the larger early addition.

Also, why 0.9oz Magnum instead of a full ounce? In my parts, hops come in 2-ounce vacuum packs at the LHBS, so I always go in 0.5oz increments (who am I kidding - I measure my hops by the package!). Unless you have a stock you're pulling from, it seems like you'll have a strange amount left over. I'm just wondering how it works in your town.

(Standard critique: Consider first-wort hopping instead of a 60-minute addition. :) )

I am more so concerned about the IBU's vs. using all the hops that I have. I may just use all of them and forget the 60 ibu's I was shooting for.

definitely do #1

Can you explain to me the reason for throwing the extra table sugar in? I was thinking that I may want to cut back the crystal to make it less sweet. Other recipes/threads I read mentioned this. How many gravity points would the extra sugar add?

generally you'll want to replace part of the extract with the sugar to help it dry out more since extract has lower fermentability than is typically desired in an IPA.

generally you'll want to replace part of the extract with the sugar to help it dry out more since extract has lower fermentability than is typically desired in an IPA.

Precisely! I should have specified that you should do this, instead of just adding it to your recipe. 9 ounces of table sugar should add about 5 points gravity in a 5 gallon batch, but you'll probably want to keep your OG about where it is so you could just subtract about 12oz of extract syrup and replace it with the 9oz sugar, should leave your OG about the same.

Precisely! I should have specified that you should do this, instead of just adding it to your recipe. 9 ounces of table sugar should add about 5 points gravity in a 5 gallon batch, but you'll probably want to keep your OG about where it is so you could just subtract about 12oz of extract syrup and replace it with the 9oz sugar, should leave your OG about the same.

Done and done. Thanks for ths advice, I will be brewing after work. Would you want to do the same with an APA, or is this more for an IPA? Also, since I am only going to do a half lb of crystal, I'm going to get 8 oz of crystal 80l to up the SRM.

Done and done. Thanks for ths advice, I will be brewing after work. Would you want to do the same with an APA, or is this more for an IPA?

you could do it for either, its just more critical for an IPA since they're bigger and drier.

if you weren't planning on it, make sure to make a starter for this ( http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html ). if you're not comfortable making a starter, id swap to dry yeast, Fermentis S-05 is basically the same yeast, has more cells & is cheaper

you could do it for either, its just more critical for an IPA since they're bigger and drier.

if you weren't planning on it, make sure to make a starter for this ( http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html ). if you're not comfortable making a starter, id swap to dry yeast, Fermentis S-05 is basically the same yeast, has more cells & is cheaper

I've got a 1.8l starter in the fridge of 1056!

Final recipe that I used for all that are interested. I cut the pound of 40L in half and added some table sugar to dry it out. I also added a touch of carafa I too add some color without adding flavor. I will update when its done.

Falconers Flight IPA
American IPA
Type: Extract Date: 4/27/2012

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 1 5.2 %
1.6 oz Carafa I (337.0 SRM) Grain 2 1.0 %
8 lbs 8.0 oz Northern Brewer Gold Malt Syrup (4.0 SRM) Extract 3 87.9 %
9.2 oz Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 4 5.9 %
1.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 42.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Falconers Flight [11.40 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 17.0 IBUs
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 mins) Fining 7 -
1.00 oz Falconers Flight [11.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 6.8 IBUs
2.00 oz Falconers Flight [11.40 %] - Aroma Steep 20.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 ml] Yeast 10 -
2.00 oz Falconers Flight [11.40 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.067 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.064 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.1 %
Bitterness: 65.8 IBUs
Calories: 213.7 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 10.3 SRM

How was it?

I wasn't a huge fan and the only reason why was because the fermentation temp got a little warm. On the other hand, all of my friends enjoyed it a lot. If I did it again, id make a little lighter in color and use wyeast1272 instead. Falconers flight is tasty. Very fruity and citrusy

Back