Wort fermenting before I pitched starter. Wild yeast? Should I be concerned?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vintage63

Reaction score
This is the fist time I have encountered this and I didn't find any posts about it, so maybe it's not a big deal.

I brewed an american pale ale yesterday afternoon. Waited 24 hrs to allow the wort to cool to the best temperature to pitch 1.7 liter starter of white labs cal ale.

Went to pitch only to see the wort was already moving and had a some kreusen build up. Of course there are probobly some wild yeast at work in the carboy.

I went ahead and pitched the starter. Is this a batch I should be dumping, or continuing as planned?

Thanks for all the help I always get on this site!

It sure sounds like some wild yeast or bacteria took hold before you pitched. I guess the only thing to do is wait and see. Next time, cool the wort as fast as possible and pitch ASAP so that the yeast can gain a foothold before any stray wild yeast or bacteria.

Yeah...wort chiller, or ice baths are your friend. I pitch my yeast typically less then 30 minutes from the time I take it off the heat (pitching at ~68*).

Back