Midwest Honey Bee Ale Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WrongCoastBrewery

Reaction score
So after brewing a batch of Midwest's Honey Bee Ale nine days ago, I took my first gravity to check if fermentation was complete. I was shocked at the reading of 1.004, especially since the suggested range was something like 1.010-1.014. I took it two more times and temperature corrected it as well, which then made it 1.005ish. The SG was 1.051. It bubbled for quite longer than some of my other batches. I used the Wyeast American Ale Activator and it sat at a pretty constant 72F for the entire time.

Anyone else had this happen to them? I read a little about occurences like this on here and most said it was due to the yeast having better than expected attenuation. Considering that the recipe had about 3.3lbs of LME on top of 3.3lbs of honey, it starts to make sense. But how could it be so far off?

It's very difficult to predict how honey will ferment, because the different varieties of honey (e.g. clover, sugar cane, flower) have widely different concentrations of sugars. Even within honey varieties, there's very little standardization.

My bet is that you have some very active yeast, and used honey that was mostly simple sugars. You'll wind up with a very dry beer. If you're concerned, why don't you boil a cup of DME in a liter of water, let it cool, and then add it to your fermenter? That'll bring your SG up a little. If it were me, I might try a cup of DME and a cup of wheat extract into two liters of water to add a little extra protein and mouthfeel to the beer.

Currently it is in the secondary so would I just pour it in and let it defuse naturally? I am assuming so since I don't want to introduce oxygen. Any specific types of DME? Say an extra light?

Yes, just pour in and allow the wort to diffuse naturally. Bear in mind that this will restart active fermentation, so you may actually see a small krausen form. I'd probably stick with Extra Light, unless you want to change the flavor profile.

Back