How do you use the hydrometer????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just finished brewing my fourth batch, California Common, and was wanting to know how exactly do you use the hydrometer. Everyone I have asked hasn't really given me any specific answers to this. Right now I've got my brew in the primary since Sunday. It's looking pretty good so far. Suggestions?

A video is worth a hundred thousand words:

From our own Bobby_M

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtQt7HiObuU[/youtube]

Pull a sample (you need a thief) and float the hydrometer in it, read only the scale with the smallest gradations (the biggest numbers). It'll read a number like 43 or 15, and add "1.0" in front of it, to get gravities like 1.043 or 1.015.

If you're brave and there's no krausen in the way, you can sanitise the hell out of it and float it directly in the ale pail. Spin it to dislodge bubbles before reading it.

unbelievably great vid! easier than i thought. guess i'll have to wait for my next batch before i can use it.

thanx!

Nice video!

I've got something similar. I really wanted to help the people who get confused on how to use this tool to be able to understand it quite easily. Check out the article and let me know what you think! It has a pretty handy graphic!

How To Use A Hydrometer

crap! you dont need to plug it in? no wonder I keep popping breakers!!! :D

I actually wondered the same thing when I bought mine, no instructions in the tube, so I did an internet search and ended up here, the best source for info on brewing on the web!!

Back