Carbonating issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Earl_Grey

Reaction score
I have an Oktoberfest in my first keg setup. It's been around a week and I can't seem to get the carbonation right. Currently it's at 45 deg at 15 psi and it tastes flat. There is lots of head but it quickly disappears and there are no bubbles in the beer. Its been in there for a week and the first week was at room temp at 10psi. What should I try to correct this?

So, if I can decipher that right, this keg is just one week under gas, with most nearly all of that at room temperature?

Give it another week at 45°F under gas...

Cheers!

If you want to start the carb process when warm you usually need 30-40 psi. Leave it for another week at serving temp

Unless the beer is a stout or some kinda of specialty beer, I carb all of my keg beers at 12 PSI for three weeks at 40 degrees. Once my beer is carbed properly, I drop it down to 8 PSI for serving.

I think you just need to give it a few more weeks. If you want to carb it faster, remember that CO2 dissolves into solution faster at LOWER temps and HIGHER PSI, but there is such a thing as TOO much carb. Put your kegorator on the lowest temp it will go above 33F, and the PSI at around 12 for three weeks, and you'll end up with perfect carb for most ales 95% of the time.

If you can check the beer a couple times a day, just crank up the pressure to 30psi. Then, morning and evening bleed the gas from the keg ( which won't take much with a full one), being pressure back up to 8psi and try it. Repeat as necessary. A day or two is all it takes. Check more frequently or use lower pressure for finer control.

Back