Wyeast 3068 Fermentation Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerNoob

Reaction score
Hi all. I may have run into a small problem. I'm brewing a witbier with the 3068 and we had a sudden temperature spike these last few days where we've been in the 80s. My place doesn't have any air conditioning. I try to keep my fermenting beer as cool as possible by keeping it in the closet in the middle of the house where no sunlight can heat it up but in the last day or two it's taken on a bit of a "banana" aroma. My house has easily gotten to 75 F or higher in the last day or two and I pitched 5 days ago.

Will this stick with the beer after bottling and make it taste like banana or will it go away with conditioning? Or is it simply just an aroma during fermenting and won't be evident after bottling?

I used this yeast a little while ago (the bottles are carbonating right now .. three days since I bottled) and I find that the bananaaroma is dominating during the fermentation, however a couple of days after the yeast had finished (5 days approx), I smelled no dominating banana aroma anymore.
I sampled a bottle yesterday (had already finished carbonating for the most part) and I found a lot of banana/pineapple aroma, but I guess that there will be less aroma when the yeast finishes.
I let my temperature get a little wild for the first two days (on day 3 I hacked a timer switch and connected it to my fridge so it would stay at around 17°C) so I may have gotten some extra esters there.

So to answer your question with my best guess, this is mostly a fermentation aroma, but hopefully only a hint of it will remain after bottling.

Back