1.090 RIS attenuation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVKTR2

Reaction score
Eleven days ago I brewed a ris w/ a 1.090 og. Checked the gravity tonight, it`s at 1.027. If I get a couple more points of attenuation I will be happy. I used Windsor yeast & said I`d be happy w/ a 1.025 fg. I`m VERY pleased with the results so far as the flavors of dark choc., caramel, molasses, & undertones of coffee are quite nice. It`s well bittered & balanced with a nice alcohol presence.

My question is should i pitch some notty/us05 to get this bier down to the low 1.020s or just go with it at 1.027?

Schlante & thanks,
Phillip

Pitching a more attenuative yeast might knock the gravity down a couple points, but it could ferment more than you want and ruin the balance, or it might do nothing. If it tastes good to you I don't see any reason to mess with it at 70% apparent attenuation.

If it were mine, I'd leave it alone and see where it ends up. What yeast at what temp. would be helpful info. Perhaps you could raise the temp of the brew a few degrees, give it a gentle swirl or two and see if you can encourage the yeast to make another run.

Good Luck...

I'm fairly certain I've gotten all I can out of the Windsor yeast as it's such a low attenuator by nature. I pitched onto a cake of Windsor, fermented @ 59-62, then as fermentation slowed I brought up the temp till it was at ambient temperature. 70, maybe 71% is all I'm gonna get out of this yeast. Without going into the whole grain bill I used a pound of molasses which is highly fermentable along with a 146 mash temp for 40 mins before raising the mash temp for shorter periods of time. I did all I could to ensure I'd get what I could out of the Windor; highly fermentable wort, proper temp control, & huge pitching rate!

My concern, since I haven't made a bier this big before, is this. I figure I'll drink about half of the 4.5 gal. batch in the 6-18 month range, the rest I'll lay down to try sparingly over 2-4 years. I'm concerned that as time passes and the hop presence/bitterness fades the bier will become cloying. That's the reason I may pitch more yeast. Should I/Thoughts?

Schlante,
Phillip

A friend in my HB club suggested using Beano if I just want to drop the fg a couple 5 points. Thoughts?

Schlante,
Phillip

I wouldn't put beano in there. It is an amylase enzyme that will continue breaking down all the more complex sugars that add all that delicious complexity to your RIS into less complex sugars that are fermented out by the yeast, until your beer is way too dry and tastes nothing like it does now.

I would much rather have it the way it is now which is good, rather than screw it up! So no Beano. Do y'all think I should pitch US-05 to get it down to lower 1.020s or leave it at 1.026-1.027? It's good as is, my concern is that it'll become cloying as it ages? It's at basically 8.5% abv, 1.027 fg, & 75 ibus.

Schlante,
Phillip

It's only 11 days old... how do you know it is done? It might just be going slow.

Back