American Wheat Beer High Hopes Hoppy Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMH5

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast London Ale III (1318) harvested
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Approx: 33-39 (brewer’s friend)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 weeks @ 72f
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
NONE
Tasting Notes
Hoppy, crisp and still has the wheaty kind of mouthfeel
High Hopes Hoppy Wheat

Mash at 154 for 60min. I had 70%eff
7 lbs American White Wheat
4 lbs German Pilsner
1 lb Rice Hulls

Hop Amt & Schedule, AA%
1 oz Cascade (5.7%) @ 60 min
1 oz Mosaic (12%) @ 5 min
1 oz Amarillo (8.4%) @ FO
1 oz Cascade DH 7 days (7/31-8/7)
1 oz Mosaic DH 7 days
1 oz Amarillo DH 7 days

Final Thoughts:
If anyone is interested in brewing this please let me know how it turns out!! This is going to be my new summer beer.

HHHW.JPG

Sounds delicious. Did you ever have the Schneider Weisse Tap 5 - Hopfenweisse?
The only authentic German Hefeweizen I know that was going down the heavily, fruity hopped road. I absolutely love it.
Never brewed Hefe before, though as a German, it used to be and still is my go to style in Europe. Lost the battle a bit against the US IPA craze and the followed BBA Stout craze of mine...but old love never dies, so after I got into homebrewing and only did IPAs and Stouts so far, I want to go back to the roots and do a simple Hefe and then follow up with a nice crossover style such as this.

Would love to know what you think about the TAP 5 and how yours compares to it? The hopping schedule pretty much sounds like something I would have gone for.

edit: and what were the reasons for the yeast choice? I love the banana heavy taste of the style, so was reading a lot more about the WLP300 or Wyeast 3638s of this world.

Sounds delicious. Did you ever have the Schneider Weisse Tap 5 - Hopfenweisse?
The only authentic German Hefeweizen I know that was going down the heavily, fruity hopped road. I absolutely love it.
Never brewed Hefe before, though as a German, it used to be and still is my go to style in Europe. Lost the battle a bit against the US IPA craze and the followed BBA Stout craze of mine...but old love never dies, so after I got into homebrewing and only did IPAs and Stouts so far, I want to go back to the roots and do a simple Hefe and then follow up with a nice crossover style such as this.

Would love to know what you think about the TAP 5 and how yours compares to it? The hopping schedule pretty much sounds like something I would have gone for.

edit: and what were the reasons for the yeast choice? I love the banana heavy taste of the style, so was reading a lot more about the WLP300 or Wyeast 3638s of this world.

Sorry for the late reply. I've never had the Tap 5, or seen it. I like SchneiderWeisse but have never seen the Tap 5 which sounds like something I'd like.

This recipe was going to be all German grains but my LHBS didn't have German wheat, only the American White so I went that way. This recipe was made for my wife who loves wheat beers but also IPAs so I wanted to make her a hoppy German wheat for her birthday. Since it was hers she got to name it to... So technically this beer is called 37 is the New Black. I just never edited the recipe name! Next summer I will try to make it with German Wheat...

As for the yeast choice, I love English strains and 1318 is my house strain (I have two I keep harvesting 1318 & 1056). I know them and I am really comfortable with them too. I also, like the way I cook, I tend to use a recipe as a guide and make my own hybrid take.

High Hopes Hoppy Wheat

Mash at 154 for 60min. I had 70%eff
7 lbs American White Wheat
4 lbs German Pilsner
1 lb Rice Hulls

Hop Amt & Schedule, AA%
1 oz Cascade (5.7%) @ 60 min
1 oz Mosaic (12%) @ 5 min
1 oz Amarillo (8.4%) @ FO
1 oz Cascade DH 7 days (7/31-8/7)
1 oz Mosaic DH 7 days
1 oz Amarillo DH 7 days

Final Thoughts:
If anyone is interested in brewing this please let me know how it turns out!! This is going to be my new summer beer.

This looks a lot like a hoppy wheat I recently brewed. Very similar hop schedule, even. Only difference is I added 2lbs of honey malt and used pale malt instead of pilsner. It turned out delicious, and at 7% abv it was a dangerous beer lol

Back