BIAB Equipment Considerations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

502Brews

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I'm just making the move from partial mash brewing to BIAB and bought a new 62 qt Bayou Classic Stainless Steel pot to brew my batches in. I decided to go with the 62 qt so I could brew double batches in it. I've got a propane gas stand to cook on and plan to make a nylon voile bag for the grain. I also plan to install an eye hook and pulley to lift the grain out at mash out.
Having only done single batch, extract and partial mash brewing previously, I've relied on an ice bath to cool my wart. If I do a double batch is it reasonable to continue that practice or will it be difficult to cool the wort in a reasonable amount of time? Will I deifinately need a wort chiller? Seems like if I do that I would be well served to add a ball valve to the pot as well.

Thoughts, ideas and critiques are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Ted

You will definitely need a wort chiller. There are 2 reasons for that. First, an ice bath will take a very long time on 10 gallons of wort. You don't say whether you did full boils with the extract brews, but if you did you'd know how long 5 gallons takes, so more than double it.

Second and more importantly, how are you going to get 10 gallons of wort in a hot pot into the ice bath in the first place? That sucker's gonna be hot and heavy.

The ball valve will be very handy for the same reason. You need a way to move the liquid and gravity is the best way. Do you have a 10 gallon fermenter, or will you use 2 five gallon ones? I struggle to move a 5 gallon carboy myself, and 10 is way beyond my capacity. I've always had a feeling that doing >5 gallon batches requires a lot more equipment just because of the logistics. Manually moving things around starts to become a problem.

A lot of people do ten gallon batches so I say go for it if you want. Wort chiller will definitely be needed though. It would take ages to get that down to pitching temp in a water bath. There are a lot of different ways to go so look into them, do some research and see what you think will work best for you.

Go for the chiller. Much easier than preparing an ice bath and then lifting a hot, heavy kettle and moving it without sloshing. I did it that way for a while but only with 2.5 gal BIAB batches. My immersion chiller makes life a lot easier, especially for larger batches.

Look into no chill. I do that for 5 gallon batches, never had off flavors or any issues. Heck, I've even no chilled and pitched the yeast 10 days later due to time constraints.

Great feedback from everyone. My wife is around and helps on brew days but moving that much liquid is at best hazardous and I think some other means of cooling it down is going to be necessary.
I have to say, I think I will try the no chill method. I may buy a wort chiller but I've been I interested in trying no chill since I first saw it mentioned. Anyone have any input on sanitation and time spent in the danger zone for the formation of bacteria?

No real threat on the no chill. You are putting boiling hot wort, so it will sanitize the container. (I still store it with star san when not in use)
I have even kept wort in there for a few days without issues. Recently I did a split batch, 1 with no chill, the other with my old immersion chiller, I didn't taste ANY difference.
Here is the cube I use, I got it at Walmart about a year ago.... http://www.campmor.com/reliance-7-gallon-aqua-tainer.shtml

How does a no chill method affect your aroma/flavor hop additions? I would think all the volatile oils would dissipate.
Do you use a glass carboy? Are you worried it will crack from the heat?

dustinstriplin said:
How does a no chill method affect your aroma/flavor hop additions? I would think all the volatile oils would dissipate.
Do you use a glass carboy? Are you worried it will crack from the heat?

I use the container I linked earlier in the post. I don't put it in my fermentor until it it cooled, (I use a better bottle)
I really haven't noticed any real loss in aroma/flavor with the hop additions, but the most hoppy beer I brew is APAs. I do notice my hop flavors & aroma fades over time, but I figure that is just a normality that goes with hopier beers.

Back