WLP670 American Farmhouse Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gravity84

Reaction score
Picked up some of this yeast blend for a saison batch I am making soon. I've never brewed with brett before. Anyone know how long I am going to be looking at for fermentation in order to let the brett do it's thing? I know brett is often added to secondary and that it takes a long time because of how little oxygen and how few sugars there are, but I'd think adding brett with a sacc to primary as this blend will do would be different.

Anyone know about how much sour this blend will contribute? I would like a bit of sourness and was going to add some acidulated malt but my LHBS guy said not to, even though he hasn't tried this yeast before. I guess I just want someone with experience with it to tell me that it will be plenty sour without adding sour malt.

Here's my grain bill right now, in case anyone has any other comments:

9# 2-row pale, Rahr
1.75# Munich
0.75# CaraVienne
1# Demerara Sugar

0.5 oz citra, pellets, FWH
2 oz East Kent Goldings, pellets, 5 min

Before asking the LHBS guy, I was going to roll with an additional 0.75# of acidulated malt.

Well I emailed White Labs and got a response about fermentation time:

I brewed with this and waited 6 months before bottling. By then, it smelled great and I was satisfied. You can go shorter and if you keep it warmer it will go faster. I somewhat think this depends on your taste and recipe. Keep smelling and tasting and be patient. Eventually you will find the flavor and profile you are looking for.

I think I'm gonna brew this tonight!

Latest posts

Back