Silly question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew2enjoy

Reaction score
I just brewed my second batch, everything went well. I woke up to a very active fermentation. It got me thinking, how much C02 is released into the air during active fermentation? I live in a pretty small place. Any concerns?

I am thinking it is safe, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

lol I knew it was a silly question but I have a 7 month old daughter so I guess I am just being paranoid!

Actually there are some concerns, there are a few threads on here about folks being sicked from having more than one fermenter in their bedroom with them. Waking up with headaches, and nausea. I don't think one or 2 fermenters can be enough, but there is some risk of co2 and enclosed places.

I think we had a thread on here before Thanksgiving where a husband and wife went to the er, or at least the doctor. I think they had several beers and wines going in a small studio apartment or something.

New metric for whether I am brewing enough: am I lightheaded due to high concentrations of CO2 in the house?

shouldn't be a problem with small amounts. CO2 is heavier than air and will sink but would need to be in a pretty sealed area. the rate at which it is produced is very low compared to humans exhaling. and that doesn't seem to effect us very much.

I did get a little buzz the first time I set up my kegs because there were a few leaks and I had my head in the fridge

Back