Help with first PM planning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Germelli1

Reaction score
Ok, I have read a ton, including the WIKI and found the most help in this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-i-steep-oats-flaked-72973/

I have all the processes done but I am a little unclear on the numbers. I am going to attempt my first partial mash recipe with a modified breakfast stout recipe. The grains look like this:

6.6 lbs. (3.0 kg) Briess light, unhopped, malt extract
1.7 lbs. (0.77 kg) light dry extract
22 oz. (0.62 kg) flaked oats
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) chocolate malt (350 °L)
12 oz. (0.34 kg) roast barley malt (450 °L)
9.0 oz. (0.25 kg) debittered, black malt (530 °L)
7.0 oz. (0.19 kg) crystal malt (120 °L)

Now I am mostly concerned about how much 2-row I will need to mash the flaked oats, and in turn how much extract to remove from the recipe.

I believe that to convert the 22 oz of flaked oats I will need to mash about 2.25# of 2 row to get a proper conversion. Is this correct?

If 2.25# of 2-row are used, then that replaces 1.5 lb of extract?

Furthermore can I use the mouslin bags for steeping for my mini-mash (or multiple bags)?

Any reason to use 6 row instead?

Thank you for being patient with me as it is my first attempt at a mini mash!

no need for 6-row and I'd go with 3lbs of 2-row and just cut the whole 1.7lbs of DME.

2-row is base malt. 3 pounds of 2-row should have no problem converting everything, just make sure to let it go for at least an hour.

Everything, besides the oats, does not require conversion. The chocolates, roasted barley and crystal malt can all be steeped. Only the oats need to be converted.

I would purchase a nylon mesh bag and mash in that. I was able to get 5 lbs of grain into my bag. When I moved to all-grain and got my cooler mlt I stopped using the bag for grains. Instead I use it for hops to keep them out of the fermenter. just boil the hops right in the bag.

Removing the light dme and adding 3# of 2-row gives me an estimated OG of 1.078, in a 5 gallon batch. Adjust the amount of lme you add to adjust the OG up or down depending on how strong you want the final product to be.

Back