Anyone have an Anvil burner yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurnipGreen

Reaction score
So, I'm still using my stove, but I'm starting to look at outdoor burners. There was a real good write up about a week ago on this forum's main page about the Blichmann burner. That was a great write up and said a lot of good things about the burner.

In looking around Blichmann has a new line, Anvil. The equipment is a little more economical. It looks about 50 bucks cheaper for an Anvil burner compared to Blichmann.

So, just wondering if anyone has tried one yet, that they might say what they like or don't like.

It looks like they start shipping early next month. However, the fact that the entire thing is painted looks annoying to me. That stuff is going to burn off and flake as soon after 1 brew session. I'm also not a fan of the regulator being attached directly to the burner, with the gas inlet being on the bottom of the regulator. It looks like you would need to buy the leg extensions or have the burner setup on a table if you didn't want to bend your gas in line 90 degrees. One final thing that gives me pause is that the pot looks like it could easily be knocked off.

A lot of people I know use Bayou Classic burners. They have a whole lot of different models and they are pretty sturdy. And cheaper I think. I wouldn't know as mine was a Christmas gift years ago.

It's not painted, it's powder coated. The aperture position looks like it would only be a problem if you only install the feet, with the 16" legs it should be fine.

Looks like a budget Blichmann, I'll hold judgment until it hits the market.

It's not painted, it's powder coated. The aperture position looks like it would only be a problem if you only install the feet, with the 16" legs it should be fine.

The Bayou's are powder coated as well. That stuff burns off and starts flaking during the 1st use. The leg extensions are sold separately so yeah I think it does matter if the gas hose is going to have to bend really hard unless you're using a table or buy the leg extensions.

This product looks way more comparable to the Bayou Classic KAB4 than the Blichmann

Anyone get one of these burners yet or have a link to a review? I can't find anything online about anyone actually using it. I am determined to upgrade my burner situation and was pretty set on pulling the trigger on the Blichmann standard but then I saw the Anvil and now I don't know what to do. I use a keggle so I need something that will work well with that. Got any thoughts?

It only produces 45,000 btus. The Blichman produces 72,000 btus.

I have a burner that produces 44,000 btus. I don't know where they get the info that the Anvil will boil 5 gallons of water in 20 minutes, maybe they're starting at 150 degrees. I take hot tap water and I can't get 5 gallons to boil in anything under about 35 minutes.

I got one for Christmas. It did burn off during the first use. But I got an email from the anvil folks and they made good on their promise to get a new burner ring with the right kind of powder coating. It took about 10 min to change out. They even included a free anvil pint glass which was cool. Here is what the new one looked like after an hour brew. Pretty happy with that! A little peeling on the black where it is in the flame but that is to be expected I suppose. It is surprisingly fast for the rating. It must be the wide spread flame or something that makes it so efficient? It is so quiet you can barely hear it. I'm pretty happy with it. Oh, the adjustment knob can be rotated to any angle so no problem with hose kinking.

IMG_3591[1].jpg

I got one for Christmas. It did burn off during the first use. But I got an email from the anvil folks and they made good on their promise to get a new burner ring with the right kind of powder coating. It took about 10 min to change out. They even included a free anvil pint glass which was cool. Here is what the new one looked like after an hour brew. Pretty happy with that! A little peeling on the black where it is in the flame but that is to be expected I suppose. It is surprisingly fast for the rating. It must be the wide spread flame or something that makes it so efficient? It is so quiet you can barely hear it. I'm pretty happy with it. Oh, the adjustment knob can be rotated to any angle so no problem with hose kinking.

Thanks for the review - sounds like it's a good burner!

I bought an anvil burner from a LHBS about two weeks ago. I used it for the first time today. I use a spike brewing 15 gallon kettle for BIAB. I'm really happy with the anvil results. Heated up 8.5 gallons of <65F water to my striking temp (161F) in less than 30 mins, and then brought my wort to a pretty raging boil in less than 30 mins again. There was no burning/peeling paint. There was a slight smell for the first 5-10 mins of using it, but I think that's expected with all burners.

Its super easy to assemble and super easy to use. I feel a lot better after using it today. I bought it because of the blichmann name, took it home, read the reviews and started panicking. It is deffo a good burner, in my opinion.

Cheers :mug:

Latest posts

Back