Cleaning old secondary. Need Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Towers

Reaction score
.OK, I had brewed a wheat beer that I had intended on flavoring with some orange peel, which I successfully did. However, when it came time to bottle, I realized I didn't have enough bottle caps. I was working 7 days a week and didn't have enough time to go to the LBH to get more (and YES, I know I can order them online.... I ....... just didn't think of it :p). So there it sat: For a while. And after a while? I completely forgot about it& It has now been about 10 months. The orange peal is STILL in it. I am absolutel.y possitive that the beer is now (and most likely, long since) dead. The question is, is my secondary any good? Is there a way to clean it so I can reuse it for my next batch, or should I just chunk the entire batch (without opening it), and buy a new secondary bucket.......,...

P.S. I am aware of the grammatical errors in my post.... I'm dating a Lit major and I was just having fun ;).

If it is plastic. Which is sounds ... hose it out and soak it in warm water and oxy clean over night... then inspect and smell it. the decide.

It should be fine.

I kept beers that long and longer several times but always in a glass carboy. Give it a taste and see how it is. It might be really good.

If your bucket was in good shape at the start of the journey, I can't imagine that anything terrible happened to it while it sat there. I'll second the soaking with oxiclean and giving it a smell.

If there's no mold...go for the gold! try it before you decide to dump it. Whatever happens to the beer, I second the soak in oxyclean, rinse well and smell test.

Latest posts

Back