No More Cold Beer in Missouri?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the article:
He said the idea came from a fifth-grade student in Jefferson County who was participating in a program to teach elementary students about state government. He sought their suggestions for new laws and chose the cold beer ban from a list of the top three ideas.

So ... not to knock on the 5th grader, but is this what government has come to nowadays? I can see the reasoning (no cold beer = less drinking emidiately after perchase = less people drinking on the roads), but com'on, really.

What's next? Time acticated bottle caps, such that you have to wait 10min before you can actually drink the beer.

Kai

A state senator wants to force Missouri stores to sell warm beer. Under a bill by Sen. Bill Alter, grocery and convenience stores would risk losing their liquor licenses if they sold beer colder than 60 degrees. The intent is to cut down on drunken driving by making it less tempting to pop open a beer after leaving the store.

"The only reason why beer would need to be cold is so that it can be consumed right away," Alter, who has been a police offer for more than 20 years, said Thursday.

What a tool.

Some lawmakers and lobbyists, however, are lukewarm about the idea.

Har har! :D

They have this in some college towns in MS. They say it is prevent drunk driving. We all thought that the mayor's family must own the local ice company. It's a conspiracy :D

Sadly, I chose which school to go to b/c of their 24/7 cold beer policy :cross:

There is only one way goverment should really be trying to prevent drinking and driving and THAT is by increasing penalties. Our current system is completely rediculious.

LupusUmbrus said:
... not to knock on the 5th grader, but is this what government has come to nowadays?

I thought the same thing: "Our government has the mentality of a 5th-grader." And what's really dumb is, this is the type of illogical thinking that you would expect from a 5th-grader, but not a supposed adult.

A person who is so impatient to drink a cold beer that they cannot possibly wait until they get it home is not going to let this law stop them. In fact, it could be argued that, instead of going to the package store and having one or two on his or her drive home, he or she will, instead, stop at a bar. At the bar, he or she knows they can buy a cold beer and can order six or seven or eight or more - and then drive home!

So what's the point of living in a democratic republic if your elected officials make decisions based on input from fifth graders? (I know that's been said in several posts, but I needed to get it out, too.)

I wonder if there'll be a 'free ice cream and lollipops' rider attached to it, thereby dooming it to committees?

BeeGee said:
So what's the point of living in a democratic republic if your elected officials make decisions based on input from fifth graders? ...

Exactly. Senator and Mrs. Blutarsky, Washington, DC

The whole thing is based on faulty logic anyway. I work 30 minutes from home. While driving I could get maybe 3 beers down, likely only 2. I weigh 250:mad: . Having that beer immediately is not going to get me drunk, it's that 5th or 6th beer.

I've always thought open container laws were stupid for that same reason. It's the drunk driving we need to stomp out, drinking a beer is not drunk!

One state passed an open container law that was so poorly written, that it applied to bags of potato chips. You can't make this stuff up.

I don't really think this law will go over. I live in Missouri, and let me tell you, we drink a lot of cold beer out here. Especially in the rural redneck areas. Gas stations all along the interstates say "coldest beer this side of the mississippi" and stuff like that. I do see some logic in it, but only on the surface. The only way you're going to buy cold beer and end up drunk by the time you get where you're going is if you drive a good portion of the way across the state. Or if you're mildly drunk to begin with.
An alcoholic bent on driving around drunk is going to a)drink warm beer b)go to a bar (as was mentioned), or c)buy liquor. It doesn't matter how cold that is, and it gets you drunk much, much faster.

Who elected the 5th grader? Is he running for President next US Election? :rolleyes:

I've always found it odd that in BC if you drink a beer just before getting in your car, that is ok. But if you have an open beer, that's impaired driving. Or you can be sleeping in the back seet with the keys in the glove compartment and that is also impared driving because you are "in control of the vehicle".

Never stops the regular drinking drivers, they'll just drink warm ones till they get home to ice it. Besides, they still sell hard liquor right? Not like people don't drink that stuff staright out of the bottle; warm.

Sounds like everyone in Missouri needs to learn the spin technique.

Place beer in ice. Spin for 5 minutes. Beer will be nice and cold.

Latest posts

Back