Wyeast 1728 high temperature experience?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobilecabinworks

Reaction score
I just checked my Scottish 80/- Schilling and the temp in the fermenter is at 74F. It hasn't been there at that temp for no more than about 12-18 hours. I pitched on Saturday around 3pm PT. Getting it cooled back down not. Just wanted to know if anyone has any first hand experience with this yeast and high temperatures? I don't mind some estery notes, but the intensity is my question. It smelled a little fruity when I opened the fermenting chamber. I plan on letting go at least 2 weeks. Hoping maybe the yeast will clean some of the esters up itself.

I've got it going on two beers now, but I've kept fermentation at 55F the entire time for both brews so I can't really help with your specific question.

Hope it turns out ok.

Depends on what you want in your beer.... Fruity esters? High temps. Smokey flavors? Low temps... I usually keep 1728 in the low 60s....like 62~63... I don't really like the estery flavor it gives off... Does it go away? Somewhat...but if the notes were in there you definitely maybe stuck with a good portion of them. Get the temps down if this is.not what you want...

Well I just took a sample and it measured out at 1.008 after 3-4 days! Craziness. Not really any esters I can detect. Still a slight yeast haze, but almost no airlock activity. My OG was 1.048. Has anyones else had this yeast ferment out this quick?

So does this thing ferment with little krausen or airlock activity? I pitched yesterday eve and I'm not seeing any signs of life yet. I'm not panicked or even worried really, but I made a 4L starter and aerated with pure 02 so I sort of expected to jump out of the gate. Got the wort to 57 before pitching the yeast and had the temp controller set to 55. I'm concerned that I had the starter warmed up to room temp before pitching and wonder if the temp drop put the yest to sleep.

Haha, I was looking through temps for this yeast and found my post at the bottom of this thread.

I've used this yeast quite a bit and I REALLY like it. I've generally stayed in the mid-50s with it for Scottish Export ales and it's amazingly clean and drinkable. There are slight smoky notes that come through when fermented at those temps which I like.

I do worry that with the new 2015 guidelines that I might get dinged for the smokey flavor as they may assume it comes from peat smoked malt.

Today I'm making both a Brown porter and a Scottish Export both using this yeast. I think I'll ferment the porter at my "normal" ale fermentation temps right around 62 and the Scottish ale at 55.

Anyway, necro bump alert!

Back