Roller settings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidkrau

Reaction score
I have a barley crusher that works great. The roller settings are set at .040. This 4works great for 2 row barley malt. I notice that wheat malt grain is smaller and it seems like the grains can go through the crusher without being crushed . Should the rollers be adjusted tighter and the wheat malt ground separetly from the barley malt? What do you do?

I have a MaltMill and did not adjust for Wheat Malt and get great efficiency. The thing you will notice if you are hand cranking is it is much harder to turn with Wheat, so setting it finer might be really hard.

The wheat grains are definitely smaller and harder than the barley. For the wheat you should either adjust the rollers to a smaller gap or run the wheat through twice. For me, I find the double milling a lot less trouble than changing the adjustment for wheat and then again for barley.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

Back