Scottish Export 80

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff2335

Reaction score
I'm brewing this partial extract recipe tomorrow and was wondering about the hops schedule. It calls for the 1.5 oz Williamette for 60 mins but nothing at the end. So I was thinking about adding another 0.5 oz for the last 5-10 mins. Would this be uncharacteristic for a scottish ale? would it throw any balance off? I'm still new to home brewing so any help would be appreciated....thanks.

7 lbs (LME) light malt extract
1.5oz willamette hops
11g Safale US-05 Dry yeast

Grains-
1 pound crystal 40L
0.5 lb Honey
0.5 lb Crystal 20L
2 oz. chocolate

I'm brewing this partial extract recipe tomorrow and was wondering about the hops schedule. It calls for the 1.5 oz Williamette for 60 mins but nothing at the end. So I was thinking about adding another 0.5 oz for the last 5-10 mins. Would this be uncharacteristic for a scottish ale? would it throw any balance off?

The Scottish Ale style essentially has no hop flavor or aroma. Just some bittering to balance out the heavy maltiness of the beer. My own 80/- has a 60 minute addition and nothing else in it.

Now, having said that.... it's your beer, so do what you want. But, if you are trying to make it true to style, just use the 60 minute addition.

Latest posts

Back