Two Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAMPLER

Reaction score
So have been preparing my hop plants indoors for the past 2-3 weeks they are starting to get about 3-4 inches tall in their pots. I will be transplanting they to the ground this coming week (I was planning on container growing my first but changed plans recently).

I have about 2 yards of horse manure coming from my father and I am planning on tilling the ground and adding the manure to it. I am also planning on tilling some organic top soil as well. Finally I will cover the area with about 1 inch of mulch to retain water and prevent weeds. Does this mixture sound like it would give me a good start on growing hops.

Secondly and the most odd of them all. Do hop plant smell? My wife is a little sensitive to the hop smell during my brewing adventures and is concerned that planting 6 plants in the garden will create an overwhelming smell. (Sorry 1st year grower question).

Thanks for your input,
Dana

be very carfey transplanting them... it's super easy to snap off the bines at the rhizome.

That soil will be fine as long as the manure is well composted. If not, it can "burn" your plants.

The plants themselves do not smell, even when full of cones.

be very carfey transplanting them... it's super easy to snap off the bines at the rhizome.

That soil will be fine as long as the manure is well composted. If not, it can "burn" your plants.

The plants themselves do not smell, even when full of cones.

I am only transplanting from 6 inch pots so will be transplanting the rhizomes with all potting soil to their new locations. I do not see much extra taking place other than that. My garden bed will be tilled to about 12 inches deep and once I add the rhizomes to the garden I will create a hill on top of the soil to plant the rhizomes in which then would be covered with mulch.

The manure is left over this winter so is man not be 100% composted but is surely is on its way and should mix nicely with the fresh organic top soil and current ground soil.

Glad to hear the plants don carry an "Oder" ("delicious fragrance from heaven" my quote). When does the hop aroma develop? During the cutting and drying stage?

Cheers.
Dana

Back