Apfelwein Fermentation Temp Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakersbrew

Reaction score
I looked around for a while and couldnt find a definite answer on this. I want to start making Apfelwein but since my fermentation fridge will be dedicated to other beers coming and going while the Apfelwein takes its 6 months, I am not sure if my house's ambient temp will be low enough for the Apfelwein. I am in LA and since it is summer temps are usually around 75, but during a heatwave they can reach 80. So what is the right temp to ferment Apfelwein? Can I get away with it being a little high?

If you use Ed's recommended yeast, Montrachet, then I believe the acceptable temperature range is 60 - 80 deg. F. In fact, I think he ferments on the high end of that range (see the "Man, I Love Apfelwein" thread).

Putting the fermenter in a bucket with a cool water bath should maintain cooler fermentation temperatures easily.

It definitely won't take 6 months to ferment-- should be done in about a month. Some aging does good things to apfelwein.

-Steve

I just finished up fermenting my first batch using EdWort's recipe and just left it in my basement for a couple of months. The temp ranged from about 60-70 degrees. Nothing special. It turned out scary good!

Back