Finished my STC-1000 fermenter, and it works!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qzpm150

Reaction score
I kept hearing that temperature control is the most important thing to make good beer so i decided to make a temperature controlled fermenter out of an old fridge that i had. I went with the STC-1000 because they are cheap, can do heating and cooling, and I hear a lot of good things about them. I wanted to mount the STC right to the door of the fridge and have a switch to put the fridge back to "normal fridge mode" by request of SHMBO.
7ETHZGI.jpg
[/IMG]
Hole in the fridge cut using a dremel
AEZU0pV.jpg

other side of the hole with some of the plastic cut away
fUa470M.jpg

STC-1000 installed into the electrical box and wired up
mIULW8s.jpg

PFmpCtG.jpg

the outlet wiring, one goes to the sensor and the other to the heater (fermwrap)
jBhUqFy.jpg

powered up and working, yes, its a party fridge
rTj8tcO.jpg

The switch up is power to STC, middle is off and down is fridge on
iMgHui2.jpg

IT WORKS1!!
KRgydmd.jpg

Um. Nice fridge??

LOL! Looks good! I mean to incorporate my STC-1000 into my ferm chamber this spring. Not sure where or how yet, as I also plan to finish the TARDIS remodel of it as well. It can hold 3-4 buckets now, but after the remodel it should hold a LOT more! ;)

Great idea, but why the extra effort to make it "switchable" back to a "regular" fridge. You could just drop the temp to 38F or so and be golden. Much more stable control than the duty-cycle setting on the fridge thermostat. Plus, it's an OLD fridge. Oh well, you probably learned something along the project... Good job!

It was a request by my girlfriend. The whole time I was making it i was asking myself the same question, but gotta keep her happy.

I like the idea of writing the types of beer you have fermenting inside on the door, but I haven't heard of those types before ;)

I had to hang up the conversion chart because of the big penis someone decided to draw on it. Come summer I'm sure it will be full of profanity.

Back