New member w/question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluedog

Reaction score
Hi guys, my first post here. I recently made a 5 gal. batch of beer and used Danstar Windsor yeast, I hydrated the yeast before pitching, and it smelled really bad. I checked gravity 48 hrs later and the beer smelled exactly like the yeast....terrible. I couldn't taste it and letting my sample sit out a few min., the smell kind of went away. Is this normal? Thank you for any help or advice you can offer.

Hi guys, my first post here. I recently made a 5 gal. batch of beer and used Danstar Windsor yeast, I hydrated the yeast before pitching, and it smelled really bad. I checked gravity 48 hrs later and the beer smelled exactly like the yeast....terrible. I couldn't taste it and letting my sample sit out a few min., the smell kind of went away. Is this normal?

You are not supposed to smell, eat or drink the yeast.

Do not drink the "beer" after 48 hours in the fermenter and expect to taste like anything but..... yeast.

The yeast your Grandmother made bread with, smelled very similar until she called it bread.

Back