My second batch (extract) is an IPA...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjgiddings

Reaction score
Its in the sanitized fermentation bucket, with a sanitized airlock in place. Pitched the yeast at 76 degrees.

From what I can tell - in an all extract world so far- is IF you can bake a cake, heck Bubba, you can make beer. It's incredibly straightforward. Aside from the extra carefulness to ANY sanitized equipment touching the wort ( bucket itself , spoon, lid, thermometer, airlock, and yes a turkey baster for a hydro reading) it's still fun and simple stuff.

I wish I had tried this 7 or 8 years ago.

Making beer is a great thing.

The question that I still have is - does IPA beer really take 4-5 weeks of conditioning in the bottle? Or is 3 weeks plenty? I'm certainly in no rush. I have a pale ale still conditioning in the bottle for a few more days right now.

Your thoughts?

Jim

It depends on the beer, and how complex it is, but 3 weeks should be plenty as long as it's carbed up enough. A higher ABV beer takes a bit longer, as does one with a complex grain bill.

I like to keep my IPAs in the fermenter at 65 degrees or under for about three weeks, and then dry hop for a week, and then bottle or keg. As soon as it's carbed up, it's about at its peak.

Its in the sanitized fermentation bucket, with a sanitized airlock in place. Pitched the yeast at 76 degrees.

From what I can tell - in an all extract world so far- is IF you can bake a cake, heck Bubba, you can make beer. It's incredibly straightforward. Aside from the extra carefulness to ANY sanitized equipment touching the wort ( bucket itself , spoon, lid, thermometer, airlock, and yes a turkey baster for a hydro reading) it's still fun and simple stuff.

I wish I had tried this 7 or 8 years ago.

Making beer is a great thing.

The question that I still have is - does IPA beer really take 4-5 weeks of conditioning in the bottle? Or is 3 weeks plenty? I'm certainly in no rush. I have a pale ale still conditioning in the bottle for a few more days right now.

Your thoughts?

Jim

Well, if you can make extract beer, then you can easily make all-grain beer! The thing that held me back from switching to all-grain for so long was the cost of some new equipment. But really, all you need is a mash tun (beverage cooler), a false bottom or some kind of manifold, a reliable thermometer, and a 10-plus gallon brewpot.

Congrats on your IPA. And BTW, I'm baking a cake right now and tomorrow, I'm brewing an AG American Stout!:mug:

Back