Coffee Roaster Drum for Barley?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only potential problem I can see may be the size of the holes in the drum. Too big and some of the malt could pass through the holes or get stuck in them which would be just as bad. Other than that, the concept is sound. I've got a roaster with a glass drum that I've been thinking about trying this with. Randy Mosher talks about toasting your own malt in, "Radical Brewing". You can also roast grain in a wok or skillet. I've done it on a cast iron griddle over a turkey fryer burner. Won a best of show years ago using some home roasted malt. Keep in mind that you won't typically be using much of the roasted or toasted malt in your grain bill, so that big coffee roasting drum might be overkill. Even for home roasting coffee it's a little too big. It's better to roast smaller amounts more frequently as coffee only stays fresh (at its peak) for about a week. Five pounds at a time is a lot of coffee for home use. I use only about a pound a week.

I wonder if you could install a stainless steel screen on the inside or outside of it to prevent the grain getting stuck or falling out if the existing holes are too big. To some, this might defeat the purpose of buying a premade drum in the first place.

I don't think I'll ever get to the point where I need something like this. I was thinking about people like COLObrewer in the "Happines is: Home Malting" thread. Maybe I should post it over there too.

Any other thoughts?

Latest posts

Back