Adding spices to your Stout???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianTheBrewer

Reaction score
So we are trying to brew a nice Stout in the next few weeks. We are going to try a oatmeal stout first then move on with that. I was thinking if the first batch of oatmeal stout comes out good maybe trying to add cinnamon sticks or nutmeg or even ginger to the stout.

Have any of you that have brewed a good oatmeal stout ever added any of these spices and got a great beer?

Sounds like Pumpkin or even X-mas beer spices, I've never tried them in a stout, but it sounds like it would be good in a nice high gravity oatmeal stout.

Well I thought to myself that when I weas a kid I use to wake up and make instant oatmeal and use the cinnamon kind and it was great so maybe it could be good in a otameal stout.

My brewing cohort made a Black Pepper Porter that was delicious. He used the yeast cake from that porter, with ground black pepper still in it, for a 7% American Stout we brewed shortly thereafter, and it came out DELICIOUS.

Just last month at Bell's in Kazoo, I got to try their Spiced Stout, and it was excellent!

I picked the brain of one of the sales force, and he "thinks" they used star anise in the last few minutes of the boil. I loved it, and I'm gonna try and clone it.

Back