Maintain temperature - water bath and aquarium heater?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kahunaman

Reaction score
OK.
this just popped into my head because I've been mulling over garage lagering. I'm in Buffalo NY and in another month or so, I will have NO problem hitting a solid lagering temperature in my garage. The biggest concern is obviously maintaining a consistent temperature. The last thing I want to do is have my lager swing 20 degrees up and down every day.

I had read somewhere about submerging your fermenter into a waterbath to help maintain some temperature consistency. I'm wondering if you could take that one step further and throw in an aquarium heater with a thermostat?

Just wondering if anyone has done something like this, or how you've maintained your lager temp in your garage for those in cold weather areas.

The aquarium heater option is good for maintaining a consistent fermentation temperature in the 60s (if you keep it in your basement in cold climates). I guess it would also work at keeping it consistently at lager temp, but you would probably need a temperature controller to cycle it on/off since the thermostat on the heater doesn't go that low. Or maybe just place in a large water bath, since the extra mass would slow down the temperature swings.

i actually use a 20 gallon trash can plumbed to an old aquarium chiller i had around, the chiller has an output for an external heater that it can control as well, it's not cheap if you don't have the chiller but i'm able to keep a 6.5 gallon carboy submerged in the trash can water bath at whatever temperature between 35 and 105 i feel like.... where i live my garage can get over 100 degrees so i use it mostly for cooling but now with winter coming the heater is kicking in instead... nice if you don't have an extra freezer and i'm sure it could be expanded to multiple trash cans if i feel so inclined as the chiller is capable of cooling/heating up to 55 gals of water

so yes, it works. :)

Back