Oops... some vodka into my secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undallas

Reaction score
Well,

Today, I stocked up more homebrew equipments from another LBHS.
In the big bag of goodies, one of them is a 5G glass carboy and figure that I would put my 2.5G Oatmeal stout from my Mr.Beer into the BIG glass to free up some containers for bottling my Hefe...
Well.. I read threads that told me air is bad in secondary... So being a "smart@ss" I came up with a solution to put the air out of the empty spaces after I siphon the beer into the big carboy.

I have a vacuum pump thing for my bottle wine vacuum cap...
Amazing, it fits on top of the 3 pieces airlock...
So I pump and pump...... you know, I created a good "vacuum"...
I was happy and put the airlock cap and fill with vodka...
well, it seems that the vacuum is pretty strong... It begins to suck the vodka (half shot glass) into the my secondary wort....AH!!!!!

I fill more and "let" some air in to neutralize the vacuum.. long story short..
I think my oatmeal will have an extra shot of vodka in there... I thought the story is funny to share...

ps-... harvested pacman yeast from Shakespeare Stout with malta goya... it is looking good.. I'll wash it tomorrow and save for my dead man ale next week.

You tried to create a vacuum in your carboy? All you did was lower the pressure of the air in it. If you want to protect your beer you need to blanket it with CO2. Chances are there was enough dissolved CO2 in the beer that came out during racking. Seeing as how CO2 is heavier than air, all you need is enough to cover the beer in an undisturbed thin layer. I believe that all this fear of oxidation is mostly unfounded. Sure, take care to avoid contact, but many make it sound like it's instant death to the batch.

An extra shot of vodka in the stout? Sounds like one for an especially cold winter's night. ;)

I checked the airlock this morning... it is bubbling away!
1 per 30 secs... lots of CO2 to give away in this oatmeal stout..

Back