Ginger Beer with Honey Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BriStarMan

Reaction score
Hi all. I apologise for the newbie question.
I followed this recipe for ginger beer and I am paranoid about botulism. I know honey carries spores and I'm worried I'm creating an environment for them to develop into botulism. I didn't boil any ingredients, just followed the below recipe. I sterilized the bottle etc. It's fermenting at the moment and I'm aiming to leave it for a couple of weeks. Am I at any risk of botulism please? Thank you in advance.

"¼ tsp brewer's yeast
225g caster sugar
1½-2 tbsp finely grated fresh root ginger
Juice of 1 lemon
1 good tbsp honey

METHOD

Add the yeast to the bottle. With a funnel, pour in the sugar.
Mix the grated ginger with the lemon juice and honey.
Pour the ginger mixture through the funnel into the bottle. Now fill the bottle about ¾ full with water, put the cap on and shake the bottle until all the sugar is dissolved.
Top up the bottle with water, leaving a 2.5cm gap at the top, to allow for production of gas. Cap the bottle tightly, then place it somewhere warm. Leave it for about 48 hours. Once the bottle feels very hard and has no give in it, your beer should be ready.
Place the bottle in the fridge for several hours to stop the yeast working. Once the beer is thoroughly chilled, pass it through a fine sieve and serve."

Since there is no kind of malt in that recipe I don't think its a proper beer. More in the wine camp. I've been fermenting wild-crafted fermentables for a very long time and usually rely on campden tabs to sanitize the must before i pitch yeast. I only boil meads to help the fermentability and help get it all into solution and fruit wines that have alot of pectin like rosehips. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say don't worry about it unless things start getting funky; but definitely do a boil next time. It does a little more than sterilize the solution.

If you remain worried about it I would drop some campden tabs in it after fermentation is complete, wait 24-36 hours and then repitch, prime and bottle.

Oh yeah botulism makes things taste like metal...

I would say you're at almost 0 risk since you used the juice of a lemon. Botulism is only a concern for foods that are low in acidity (above pH 4.6). I believe alcohol also creates an environment where botulism can't grow.

Long story short, unless you're home canning vegetables or eating an undercooked potato that's been sitting in the danger zone for a long time I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated. I always get myself at it thinking I'm going to poison myself :D

it's all good! I can see how fermenting can be kinda scary at first! Under non brewing circumstances fermentation is one of the first signs of spoilage after all!
Wait till you get into lactose-fermentations like sour beer or saurkraut...those get pretty gnarly! First time I made kraut I actually had to get drunk to try it :D

Keep us posted on how that turns out. Ive been lookin for a good ginger ale recipe.

Back