Little help on the basics for a total newbie?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firstRWD

Reaction score
I'm just starting out. I've brewed 2 extract kits with a friend and decided right away I want to make this a hobby. It seems like most everyone in an apartment with electric just goes for the turkey fryer, so I assume that's the best route, but I just want to make sure there's not a cheaper or more hassle free, but just as effective electric route available to me. If it's cheaper and/or will save me from brewing on a windy patio in the winter in WI, I'd rather buy some electric stuff now and do that. My set-up is keggle based as far as boiling is concerned(Just a keg at this point). I've taken some electrical engineering classes and am quite handy, so I'm not afraid of a little electric DIY if needed. Are there any decent electric options for someone in the electric apartment situation, or am I basically committed to the turkey fryer and propane?

I have done some searching, but what I've spent time on seems to be all larger scale stuff. I just need to boil some wort in an apartment...

Do you want to move to all grain?

What size batches do you want to do?

If you want to go all grain but only want to do 5 gallon batches, I’d suggest BIAB or this BIAB or partial mash, which can be done on your kitchen stove;
You can also split-boil your 5 gal batch between two 4 gal pots instead of using one 7 gallon pot.

I really like the idea of going electric when I have to pony up $20+ for a propane tank which lasts about two 10gal AG batches; but winter in Vegas is lush for brewing outdoors, it’s the summers here that make it difficult to brew outside (just the opposite for you) and I don't think electric is cost effective during the summer in Vegas. That said, you can add electric elements to your kettle but that is outside my scope; but I did find a thread that might help… :mug:

Poking around on the electric brewery now. Thanks for the tip. I would like to move to all grain in the future after I practice some with extract batches. I'll probably only ever do 5gal batches. My only thing with the thread you linked, discooby, is his dryer room set-up with 30amp plug. Since I'm in an apartment, I only have access to regular wall outlets. That's the type of thing I'm not finding anywhere. Surely it can be done, though, since I have a stove that's obviously getting enough power to heat up multiple burners to boiling temp. Off to do more searching...

Back